Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My first attempt at rooting...

Posted by dmg2242 8A DFW (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 27, 07 at 11:26

O.K., I prepared and planted my cutting last night. It's about 6"-7" long, I dipped the bottom and leaf nodes in rooting hormone. I made a couple of wounds about an inch from the bottom and put rooting hormone on those, too. I put it in a gallon pot with a 50/50 mix of organic potting mix and pearlite, watered it well and put half a litre pop bottle over it. I have it in indirect bright light on my patio. Should it be in a little more morning sunlight? Also, how often should I water it?

Thanks for your help!

Denise

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My first attempt at rooting...

Hi Denise,

It sounds as though you did everything right. I have a few cuttings now that I started and have them in dappled morning light only for about 3 hours. I never water mine and I ususally wait until about 3 months to know if it took or not, it will start new leaf nodes on the sides of the cane. Never lift it out of the soil to check for roots, thats a no no. I use plastic cups and soda pop tops that fit flush with the rim of the plastic cups so the humidity that builds up on the top of the soda pop bottle goes directly down into the soil in the cup. This is the only water it needs. Others might water differently though.
Good luck with your cuttings!

o

Thanks Ramblinrose--
I've watered mine a couple of times--oops. I've noticed that there's really not a lot of condensation on the pop bottle. There's always some, but not a lot. I hope I haven't drowned it... I'll cross my fingers.

Denise

o

you can also stretch a zip loc bag over the top of a gallon pot or even a solo cup - tighter fit than a soda bottle - I rooted thousands this way

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here