Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ginni77

Broken cane from tiny rose, will it root?

ginni77
11 years ago

I've never had any luck propagating roses and need opinions.

Here's the deal...I got a tiny Gruss an Aachen from Edmund's Roses, they apologized for the size, sent me a $5 of coupon on my next purchase, and the promise to refund my money if the rose failed. I was happy with that and proceeded to plant and baby the little rose. It's been doing great with all the TLC I've been giving it.

Yesterday my bull-in-a-china-shop hubby was working around that rose and broke off the main cane. The rose has only one tiny cane left so altho I've had absolutely NO LUCK propagating roses in my life, I decided to try to root the two pieces of cane that came off.

They have never had a rose on them yet and they are pretty tender and small. I stripped off some of the bottom of the canes, dipped them in rooting powder and stuck them in seed starter pots, the ones that expand with water and are filled with coconut coir. I put the two little pots in a fish bowl and watered and spritzed them good, then covered the bowl with a large baggie. This morning they look great...all perked up and healthy.

Is there any hope for roots since these were very tender cane pieces and had never had a bloom on them?

Comments (2)