Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
potting up a rose

Posted by charliebear65 47715 (charliebear65@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Apr 10, 06 at 11:51

I have a cutting that seems to be well rooted in the ground but I am told I must move it to my patio proper or pull it up, Id rather try to put it in a pot. Can this be done. It is a hybrid tea.
What size pot do you recommend and what type of potting soil?
What do I do with it in the winter time?
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: potting up a rose

Hi Charlie,

I am not a professonal by any means, but I will share my thoughts on the subject. I just use regular potting soil of good quality. Depending upon the size of the plants root system I would put it in a pot that is four to six inches larger than what the roots are so it has plenty of room. And put small gravel in the bottom of your pot for good drainage. I wouldn't fertilze it right after you transplant but I do use vitamin B liquid on everything I transplant. It help to reduce shock when transplanting and gives them a good start. Also keep it in a shaded spot for the first few days after potting up. As far as winter care, you could try to wrap the pot and all in a insulating material, like straw and then wrap the whole thing in burlap. I am in Montana and winters here are much more severe here and I have over wintered a couple by doing this, but you must insulate the bottom as well as the sides of the pot and the plant. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here