Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vettin

Grandmothers rose - how did your 2012 cuttings do?

vettin
12 years ago

Sounds like you are somewhat close and so similar climates. Curious how they did, helps me learn. Thanks!

Comments (6)

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    12 years ago

Glad you asked. I've been busy for the past 3 weeks taming two wild kittens and my Roses Forum lurking took a dive.

Well, I am happy I had some grow. I used the newspaper method on the fresh cuttings. None of them callused, but I planted them anyway. I put most in the styro cups and some in the milk carton / pop bottle arrangement. I am not sure yet, but 17 of 65 cuttings are promissing. These are cuttings from the lower, unleafed-out parts of canes. I'm guessing it's been 6 weeks since I cut the canes. The cuttings (in the past week) put out new leaves or have swelling buds. The cuttings from leafed-out portions of canes all died, as Roseseek predicted, I might add. I have about 7 (of 50 cuttings) of an unknown fragrant pinkish orange rose that I started for a friend, 3 (of 5) Lyda Rose - she's a hybrid musk and evidently they root easily (aack! patented, I know, my bad), 2 (of 5) Rose de Rescht, and a few I seem to have not labled. I have my own "free mystery rose" collection, now. :) Though, that situation will be solved when they bloom. I think the styro cups worked as well as the milk/pop bottle thing and were easier to plant, lug around and inspect.

One particular set of cuttings I left in a bucket for a week before I put them in the newspaper. They all look pretty dead. I don't recommend the delayed action plan.

I put all of the cuttings on the north side of my house where they get 2-3 hours of sun in the morning and shade the rest of the day. It's a good bit cooler there, too.

Can't tell you how many times I lugged them in and out of house with the temperature dips. They even got a bit dry at one point. So, I really can't complain about the strike level. I am truly a haphazard gardener. If it grows for me I can say it's one tough rose.

• vettin
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to post! Pls provide more updates as time passes and if time permits. Good luck with the kittens!

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    12 years ago

Evidently for me, kittens are easier to grow than rose cuttings. Stardust is my little fluffy black kitten with white whiskers and white paws. (Black cats are my favorite.) She fell asleep on me last night, so she's just about ready to be adopted. Her sister is Braveheart and is a brown tabby with the broken mackerel pattern. She's more playful and not as lovey, but still pretty tame. I love kittens, but they are such a pain at the same time. I'll be glad when these two get adopted. If I could type faster I could ramble more. Alas, it is time to get off the 'puter.

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

The 7 cuttings that grew last year are NOT Oklahoma. They are Dr. Huey! No wonder they rooted in poor conditions! I was going to pitch them until I realized I could try grafting / budding that pesky Oklahoma to them. I'll bet both plants have some sort of mosaic virus but I'm going to try anyway.

There were 7 pages of results when I searched "grafting" and "budding," so I believe I have lots of advice to read first.

If anyone has a favorite tip about budding and wants to post, I would appreciate that, too.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Give this site a browse. Burling Leong of Burlington Roses created it to share her easier technique of chip budding. It IS easier than the traditional "T" budding. Once you've read it through (it includes photos!), feel free to ask any questions you may have. Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Chip Budding article in Rosa Mundi

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

Thank you! I will definitely give chip budding a try. This is a good use for the Dr. Huey! Waste not, want not. :) And, I can practice the chip cuts on the Dr Huey suckers I'm going to prune from my friend's Oklahoma. I expect I'll need the practice before I make the real cuts.