Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sedagrig

rose propogation failing? help please!

sedagrig
12 years ago

Hi everyone!

This was my first attempt at propagating roses. About a month ago I traveled abroad to visit my great-grandmother's grave and there was a beautiful rose bush that was planted there (she had planted it before she had passed away). I decided to take a cutting and try to root it. I brought it home and kept it in water for about a week. Then I read online that its better to stick it in the soil rather than wait for roots to appear. The cutting I took is about 10 inches long and it had several leaves when I had cut it. I wounded the bottom before placing it in the soil. I also dipped the end in honey based on something I had read and I watered it with willow water after planting in a large pot. Before I had placed it in the soil, the leaves it had had already wilted and fallen off. However, a week after planting it, it started growing a little green bud that later grew into several leaves. Now its week 3 since I have cut it and the new leaves that came out look like they are wilting. I have been keeping the pot outside during the day and it usually gets about 5-6 hours of full sun. Its very warm ( I live in Tennessee) right now and I always keep it well watered. I am wondering if my cutting is dying since the leaves are wilting...Please help! I really want to preserve it!

Comments (3)