Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joytwo1839

Best time for cuttings ?

joytwo1839
14 years ago

Well, I really hate to admit it but all of my roses died in a hard freeze we had in spring of 2007. Except a Social Climber. I bought two roses last year and those two are now dead. The two died from lack of water.

So, I will not give up this year. I have several new roses so far. Three were just the teeny bands and six are bare roots I just put out. (To digress just a little, I followed the instructions from MN University Ag site and mixed Epsom salts, alfalfa meal, blood meal and cottonseed meal in the hole, put some dirt in and planted the bare root roses. Was that bad - late I read somewhere on here not to put alfalfa tea until the second year)

I have five new roses from the nursery, still in two gallon containers that are growing a lot. I won't put them out until last frost (04/15) Can I take cuttings from them (they have buds) or will that stunt them? I am hoping to retire this year and dedicate a lot more time to my roses.

Comments (6)

• elks
    14 years ago

It sounds like the roses that died from the hard freeze might have been planted deeper unless, of course, they were teas, which resent the cold anyway.

There are many ways of preparing a hole for planting. The one you used should work though I worry a little by your writing that you "put some dirt in" with everything else. It sounds like everything else was the bulk of the 'soil' around the roots. That might be too much. I prefer the simpler method of top dressing with the goodies and letting the rain or my watering carry them down to the roots. There is something to be said about planting strictly in the native soil, particularly concerning drainage.

Is there a reason for not planting your potted roses now? They stand a better chance in the ground than above it if you have not protected them from the frost. Usually what kills a rose in spring are repeated freeze/ thaw cycles.

Steve.

• joytwo1839
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was waiting for the last frost and now we have a freeze coming so I will take them in the house.
    When I put the bare root out, I put the mix in the bottom of the hole, put a scoop of dirt, the rose and then filled the hole in with dirt.
    Do you think I could take some cuttings before I put these out?

• elks
    14 years ago

Cuttings without leaves would probably fail at this time of year. Usually, one takes a cutting with 4 leaves, removes the bottom 2, scores the camber an inch up, dips the bottom end in rooting compound, plants the cutting in a 4 or 6" pot and covers it with a 2 L pop bottle. The cutting needs the leaves until it roots.
    Steve.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    14 years ago

I would wait until these plants get a change to mature. Maybe after the first bloom. Personally, I would wait until next year when they start putting out good, strong canes.

• joytwo1839
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, the decision was taken out of my hands. They have been in the garden for about five days now. The Mr. Lincoln had four tall stems with buds on the end and during our recent high winds one of them broke. I took this one and made three cuttings with leaves at the top of each.

• bob5802
    14 years ago

i would like to learn how to make the cut on the rose as i have a rose that foe some strangem reason its hard to find EASY LIVING SO I GUESS I HAVE TO LEARN TO PROGATE I AM 70 YEARS OLD AND HAVE TO LEARN . THANKS FO ANY HELP bob

Sponsored
HEMAX Construction Services & Landscaping, LLC
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Landscape Contractors Servicing VA