Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Failure at Overwintering rose cuttings

Posted by yellow_rose_man z3 Ont. (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 13:27

Hello everyone,I am deeply dismayed,last fall I put away over 400 well rooted cuttings in one gallon pots.I placed them underneath our deck so they wouldn't get a heavy snow load on top of the mulch and break the canes(which is what happened the previous winter).I placed snow fence around the deck,then filled the area with leaves to protect the roses from the cold.The results-probably half or more of the roses are dead.
Question 1-should I have used straw instead of leaves?
Question 2-should I maybe be burying them below ground(pulling them out of their pots and burying them bareroot)?
Question 3-should I try overwintering them in my unheated hoophouse?I am afraid of it getting warm and them breaking dormancy on a sunny day in winter?
The temperatures here can get to -40, and I know if I were to keep them in the basement,it is warm enough they wouldn't go dormant and the spider mites,aphids would have a feast.
Thanks in advance for your help,it is a long way from winter again,but i need toi come up with a method that doesn't cause me to lose 50% or more of my cuttings.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Failure at Overwintering rose cuttings

What are your basement temperatures? I keep first year cuttings in the basement under lights. It's cool enough down there (+15C)that spider mites aren't a problem, and aphids are fairly easy to control with pyrethrum.

o
RE: Failure at Overwintering rose cuttings

Hi,not sure what the basement temperatures are,but I think that they are higher than that as it is well insulated,not a lot of room either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here