Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's stealing my rose flowers

Posted by debbysunshine san diego (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 08 at 13:33

I've written before but everyday I see more flowers gone in the morning and this is in the well fenced backyard. I have the most beautiful Intrigue Rose that has met it's demise for five years and finally I had a nice bush growing many stems and leaves and just looked out and only the center branch is left. This is in a large pot with mature roses all around and plenty of bars of soap. My feelings are crushed and would be truly broken if not for the rest of my gardens. Does anyone have a great suggestion to keep the birds off my rose because with all the nests here and there in my garden that's all I can figure so far. Have tried hot chile powder, cridder ridder, liquid fence which might help who knows ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's stealing my rose flowers

Its likely Deer, and soap will do NOTHING to deter them. (Neither will human hair, or urine, etc..these are all just popular myths) Either Liquid Fence or a real fence is the solution.

o
RE: Who's stealing my rose flowers

So far I have been trying a home made concoction. I mix up one beaten egg, a splash of milk or yogurt, one garlic clove minced and add about a half gallon of water. I let it sit for awhile and then water my plants with it outside. It stinks like wet dog hair to me, but so far it has been keeping the deer from eating my plants that I put it on. It must work because I had forgotten to put it on some lilies I have and they were chomped down to the ground!

The only downside is you have to reapply right after a rain. I don't take any chances and apply it every few days. I'm sick of deer and rabbits devouring all my plants year after year. I used to have 15 new roses, now after 7 years I have like 4, and some are rootstock. I can totally empathize how you feel!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here