Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange rose bushes with thousands of blooms?

Posted by debbysunshine san diego (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 14:29

I have beautiful rose bushes growing in the front garden but I noticed that last year I had a pretty wine multi blooming say three to four inch blooms hundreds on small leaves but these roses go in and out of my others. This year out of nowhere are a multi colored pink very healthy and unplanted huge bloomer, no diseases or troubles but understand I never planted these bushes and have taken cuttings from these and they sprout up so fast. My question is that maybe one of the original grafts or roots which I;m not all that familliar with that subject has taken off and done their own thing. debbysunshine@hotmail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange rose bushes with thousands of blooms?

can you take some pics and post in flickr? it's probably rootstock, my hunch.

o

Sounds like the original was a graft on a different root stock. I've seen that same rose on several different plants. Have read where you cut that portion back so it doesn't take over as it's a vigorous grower. It's apparently a very common rose to graft to because it's so vigorous. Think it's called a rugosa rose. Deep burgundy, single petals, masses of blooms and extremely hardy. I always just cut it back as the rose that's grafted on (for me - the one I purchased) is more important than the graft.

o

Debbiesunshine-it certainly sounds a lot like you have rootstock that has grown and is blooming with whatever was grafted to it. the rootstock is Dr. Huey, and easily checked out at Help Me Find Roses. It is an old garden rose that is used a lot in the S.W.-I know I have seen it here growing wild in San Diego, and it can get covered with those cute little semi-double deep burgundy blooms. A very tough once bloomer, valid in its' own right. j.song

o

Since I've taken the suckers from the original plants and put them into large pots you would not believe how quickly they have grown and started to bud with large beautiful blooms. Maybe these were the grafts from originals which is great for me because they want nothing but sun and I have four very large bushes two in other garden areas and three different colored blooms. It's really a treat to watch these plants go from smaller leaves into much larger leaves with so many blooms. Each branch could fill a vase but I love the spuge of color so I just trim when needed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here