Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charleney_gw

florist cuttings are growing

charleney
17 years ago

Think I saw roots through the medium this morning, and lot of top growth is about 3 weeks old. Looks great. They are in water bottles. NOW! I see no signs of fungus, but they are still so humid I worry that I may get some. What do I spray with right now to keep any fungus off of them. I am so excited!

Comments (13)

• dmg2242
    17 years ago

That is exciting! What king of rose are you rooting? May I ask the method you used? I've got a cutting and this will be my first try at propogating.

Thanks!
    Denise

• charleney
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I used coir. Water bottles. Rootone for hormone. I am going to be surprised, because I asked grocery store for some of their 'spent' rose canes. She was not nice but took two out of garbage and handed them too me. Don't even know what color they are, but sturdy long canes. I cut each one in about 1/2 and got two cuttings per cane. I will ask at another store sometime, and see if they are upset about asking for their garbage. I would not hesitate to buy, but haven't seen any great colors in case that I would spend 3$ apiece for experiment. Good luck.

• flower2sew
    17 years ago

Cool, I hadn't thought about asking for their trash. I might have to do that.
    Dawn

• roxxanne
    16 years ago

I am a florist and have tried to root interesting colors of roses so many times, but I have never had success. so you or anyone have a secret? I did the same thing, rootone, potting soil, bottle. Never worked.
    Roxanne

• flower2sew
    16 years ago

Roxxanne, how wonderful to have access to those wonderful roses. I do prep my rose cuttings by making my cuts and then soaking in a gallon of water with a crushed aspirin. This year I got much better succes by using a modified Mander method. I use coir in a cup and insert into a 2 liter pop bottle and put it under lights. I also use a light underneath the shelf to give it some bottom heat.

I got some wonderful roses this winter by doing it this way.
    Dawn

• roxxanne
    16 years ago

OK Dawn, I gave it another try. Brought some roses home from work, a couple spray roses and 2 regular roses. The only difference I see in the method here and my old way is the bottom heat. I'll keep you posted.
    Thanks! Roxanne

• roxxanne
    16 years ago

OK, I give up! They're dead! This is about the 200th time I've tried to root cuttings from work and it didn't even work with the bottom heat. I give up!
    Roxanne

• ashes_of_the_fire
    15 years ago

don't give up. i do mine a completely different way.

when you first get them strip off all of the leaves and freshen the ends by cutting at least 2 inches from the top. i cut at an angle, some people don't, it's your choice. also, make sure that there's few nodes (like 3 or 4 is good) on each piece.

i left mine in a glass with a little bit of kool-aid or a pinch of sugar in it to feed them, i put the glass in front of an east facing window so they got light not a large amount. every few days i changed the water adding sugar each time i did it.
    when the buds get large and look like they're going to put out a shoot soon, take the cutting out and put it in a pot (my pots ahve regular potting soil) and make sure that it stays very moist, add water every 2-4 days and put in a very sunny window. most of the water will run out but that okay. i also just fed mine a little bit of a crushed aspirin, it's a natural rooting hormone, i just want to make sure that the big one gets good roots before it gets to big for itself.

i ahve a batch from valentines day roses and they best one has 3 not yet fully formed leaves and a few other buds that are opening and putting leaves, 2 are dead, one is almost dead, one has buds getting ready to open and 2 haven't really changed, but since they haven't died yet they're doing okay.

4 of 7 isn't bad.

give it a try, you don't have much to lose.

• GardenLover353
    12 years ago

I got some very beautiful roses in a bouquet from a friend of ours. I liked them so much that I wanted to try to grow them from their cuttings. I have two cuttings in a pot with potting soil. I made my cuts at a 45 degree angle, removed the leaves, scratched the bottom with a knife and dipped them in rooting hormone before planting them and covering with glass bottles. One of them is already showing signs of growth with some small leaves growing out of a small shoot. The other one only has some fungus like white substance in a couple of places. Even the one with leaves has some white fungus like growth. Is it fungus or something else? How can we tell? Should I move it to a different container and place it in the yard? How can I get rid of the fungus if it indeed is fungus?

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

What does soaking them with crushed aspirin do?

• gypsymaiden
    12 years ago

Wow this is really neat, and think about all the stores that toss their floral.... I will try this myself, with store bought/upcycled or from the garden. Thanks for posting this, and the methods and progress. Please keep updating.

• mainblaine456
    12 years ago

try rooting them in sand, that will help with rot. potting soil rotted all of mine.

• Serene17
    12 years ago

I impulsively bought single stem rose about four hours ago, since basically every store is selling them for Valentine's Day, in hopes of letting it grow into a rose bush. It has many, many leaves so I'm hoping photosynthesis won't be too hard a task. I've been reading on this website and other sites, and watching plenty of videos of how to proceed in growing this single stem into a bush.
    Right now, I put it in a cup of water with a little bit of sugar--my mother was washing some cut spinach earlier so I have a little bit of that water in here as well. I shredded the end of the rose a little and sprayed the plant with some water. Other than that, I haven't done anything to the plant. Other than stare at it. And talk to it. And play it a video or two; plants like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, right?
    Anyway, I was hoping I could please, please get some advice! I read up on putting in soil with a little bit of root hormone (though I hear honey works well, too; if I need to put it in soil, I'll be using honey since I have that at home). However, I also read one can grow it in water, so I'm wondering which method is best.
    I haven't cut the flower yet. It's not a bud, but a nice size flower that's very aromatic!
    I posted a picture of it--yes, it was bad of me to take it out of the water, but I'm hoping seeing it will help determine if I need to cut off leaves at the bottom or whether the amount of step I have is alright since there are nodes available for rooting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of the rose