Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_dupuis

Trying my hand at

Joan Dupuis
16 years ago

multiplying plants. I bought 2 pots of mini-roses from WalMart (grocery store size) The post were 4" pots and each pot had 4 roses in it. There was no name on the tags, only zone 5-9...one was mostly white with a blush of pink in the centre and the other was a pretty shell pink. The pots were $1.97 each, so for $4.00, if they survive the separating and re-potting, I get 8 roses out of the deal. How big should I expect these roses to get.

Joan

Comments (6)

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Depends on the parent. some only get a foot or two. Not knowing the actual names of the roses makes it hard as you can't look it up. One mini climber in particular comes to mind: Jeanne Lajoie. She gets I think 6-8 feet tall (someone correct me if I am wrong). The only thing 'miniature' about her is the smaller leaves and flowers.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Should I cut off the blooms and flower buds, to let the roots settle in ?

• triple_b
    16 years ago

nah. give them some good soil and well composted manure and bone meal and a good drink. There are more extensive directions out there too. Make sure there are no air pockets around the roots when you transplant.

• Joan Dupuis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well all but one made it. I have them potted up in a 2 Litre container and have the pots sunk in the garden. Didn't want to disturb the roots too soon. Maybe in a couple more weeks, I'll actually un-pot and plant directly in the garden, so they have lots of time to make good strong roots before the winter. The white one has 3 new flowers on one plant. Kinda looks like a miniature I just bought this Spring called "Irresistible". What to you think it might be? I love the pale touch of pink in the centre.

Thanks for your comments.

Joan

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

Nice work, your leaf colour is nice and healthy, and the blooms look really nice too. Later you'll be able to take cuttings from cuttings, and set out a massive plantation. Not bad for a $2 start. Sativa.

• ladybug2u2
    15 years ago

Bloomorelse, I had the miniature rose "Irresistible" at one time. Miniature doesn't necessarily mean the bush stays small, but the leaves and roses do! My minnie rose Irresistible grew to about 4 ft. tall with about that much spread. It repeats all summer. Gorgeous blooms will keep you watching for the next flush.

Now, if you purchased the really tiny roses...they are known as 'micro-minis' and they are not winter hardy. You basically treat them the same as other roses except winter care. I did leave mine out one winter (planted into the ground), but they didn't thrive and eventually died. I find miniature roses just as easy to root as any other rose variety.

When I get a micro-minie, right away I re-pot it into an amended potting soil and water with 1/2 strength water-soluble fertilizer. When flowers begin decline, pinch off and wait for the next flush. Enjoy!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES