Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
never tried propagating roses --- suggestions?

Posted by robbiezone5 z5 HudsonValley (mygoodtwin2002@yahoo.com) on
Thu, Apr 27, 06 at 16:30

i have some roses which were planted last year (late spring 2005) -- potted plants. and i have some new roses that i planted, bareroot (pickering), a few weeks ago. a few more (potted) will be arriving soon.

ideally, i'd like to be able to share them with people. but i have absolutely NO experience in this. does anyone have any suggestions for someone like me? i s'pose, the first question is --- is it too soon to even be thinking about this???

thanks so much!
--robbie--

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: never tried propagating roses --- suggestions?

Yes. Wait until after the first bloom. With most varieties, cuttings with a flower on them are the proper age for softwood cutting.

Do you have space in NYC for lights? I have had very poor luck with rooted cuttings their first winter outside. Even the hardy varieties are trouble that first winter. I start cuttings inside in pots partially so I can control the light, temperature, etc. but also because they are going to have to spend the winter in pots under those lights also.

o

i don't think we'll have room to set up lights here --- possibly i can rig something on a large window sill (1'x6') that gets a lot of light. but this is the only available surface! maybe i can work something out, though.

but i want to start thinking about this now.

thanks kay!

--robbie--

o

Make sure you use a window sill at the north side as the sun will cook the cuttings.
The temperature should not go above 72 to 74 F. for best results. Check out my Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery with detailed comments and info for each of the 30 images.

Here is a link that might be useful: Own Root Cuttings Setup Gallery

o

Robbie, do you have a balcony or similar outside area you could use in NYC? If so, I think what I would do for any given successfully rooted variety is plant one in your upstate garden, when it is sufficiently strong and hardened off, and leave the other in a pot on this hopefully not mythical balcony in subtropical NYC. I think this belt and suspenders approach increases your odds of successfully overwintering at least one specimen of the variety.

When Kay says "Even the hardy varieties are trouble that first winter", I know that wet protection was a factor in at least some of this trouble. (I'm thinkng specifically of the Apothecary's Rose, and other roses rooted that season.)

o

Don't the roses have to be own-root to do this?

o

No, but they will be own-root after you do this. Ha.

o

Check out the Make More Roses web site. Although it's still under construction, it should help you with your propagation questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make More Roses Site

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here