Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Waiting for the blooms to die

Posted by desertdance So CA Zone 19 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 16:31

It's a problem. I have the damp newspaper rolled in a plastic bag, got the thorn stripper, and the rooting hormones all ready, but the roses won't die.

A week later they are so gorgeous!

I know I need the dead heads so the roots no longer feed, and that will be the new breed.

Makes me crazy

Suz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Waiting for the blooms to die

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 26, 13 at 19:03

Well, I wouldn't call that a problem, lol!

o

Suz, the wrapping method works best for last years flowering shoots at the middle to end of winter. This years flowering shoots are too soft and contain too few stored nutrients for wrapping. The temps are also too high. I have not had any success using the wraps this late (nor has anyone else who has contacted me about it). This is the time of year when mist propagation or covered pots/cups work better. Feel free to give it a try, but so far, all the experiences I've heard of, plus my one, indicate the condition of material you're describing, time of year and heat all work against success. Kim

o

OK, I'm listening, but this is my last dance. We are moving from this home to another, and I'm taking as many cuttings as I can wrapped in the damp newspaper burrito.

If only one or two take, I'll be happy.

Misting is tough when you are living in two houses 5 times per week!! Serious! I don't even know what day it is. If I can just wrap and let them chill....... Dreams don't always come true.

Suzi

o

Thought I would update. After 3 days in the burrito, I checked. Stems are bright green. No mold. I see root initials forming close to the rooting hormone. I think this will have a happy ending!

Suzi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here