Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fsmcdon

Seeking Advice - Disease, Nutrient Deficiency, or Something Else?

fsmcdon
13 years ago

Hi All:

I am attempting to propagate roses (not the kind that you would grow outdoors, but the sort that you would find in a bouquet) and am seeking some help in diagnosing a problem that has arisen.

Please see the photographs in the web album below:

http://s908.photobucket.com/albums/ac283/fsmcdon/Roses%203-30-11/

This yellowing of the leaves began within days of planting the cuttings, starting in the veins. I planted them two weeks before I took these pictures. The spread of the yellowing seems to have been checked for the moment, perhaps since the root system has been established, but it is difficult to say.

I am growing these roses in an organic potting soil with added perlite and bottom heat.

As you may have guessed, these cuttings were taken from fully grown flowers that I purchased from a florist. In other words, the roses weren't purchased as stem cuttings, but as flowers, then I made cuttings out of them. (Yes, I understand that this is not ideal.)

My major question at this point is whether this yellowing (which I am tempted to call chlorosis) is caused by a disease or a nutrient deficiency. A potential clue: I noticed that, within days of planting, a whitish residue appeared on the stems that reappeared after washing. I suspected that it was a fungus, so I placed an air purifier near the plants, which circulates the air in the room, and the residue has been greatly reduced.

As for my horticultural experience, I have grown plenty of vegetables and trees (on a large scale, in fact), but this is my first attempt at propagating flowers from cuttings.

I would greatly appreciate the input of this community. Thank you.

Comments (5)