Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baggie method for root cutting.

Posted by sambac z10fl (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 10, 11 at 19:20

I Did look at the FAQ before posting this, not new to plants but new to propagating rose cutting, this is my first attempt, please be easy on me...

My question is: I have the cutting in a small pot( did root tone and KLN) and have put them in a Zip lock bag and placed in full shade. Do I open up the zip lock bag every few days or leave it be for the next 2-3 weeks. This is a Prosperity rose and the other one is OGR.

Thank you in advance to all your replies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baggie method for root cutting.

I know there are many folks who have had good luck with rooting roses in baggies, but I'm not one of them. The trick with rooting using any method is to keep the environment in your rooting container (in this case, a baggie) moist, but not putrid and swampy. If you have to periodically open the bag to get this to happen, then I guess opening the bag is a good idea. If things appear to be going well with the bag closed, I'd keep it closed.

Rooting is a bit of a trial and error process. Once you hit on a method that works reliably, it makes you feel like Mother Nature herself. When I first started, my luck was awful. A friend told me how she uses milk jugs and soda bottles to root roses, and my life changed as I got reliably better at rooting. I put this method on my web site, so others can get the same feeling of accomplishment. Good luck with your cuttings.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click on How To

o

Thank you so very much for your response and fantastic pictorial guide to root the cuttings. I think mine are toast- just based on the quality of the cuttings, but will wait and see and I am going to experiment it your way- Thanks again!

o

You're welcome. If your cuttings are green, there's still hope for roots. If they're black, they're toast.

o

I have also not had good luck with rooting Roses baggie style . I just might try the milk jug/soda bottle method. Thank you for the alternative.

o

You might want to read through the Winter Sowing forum on this site for more information. The method uses milk jugs and 2 liter containers to grow seeds, quite interesting stuff. It does work even if planted and left for snow to cover up the containers in the winter. I was just wondering about using milk jugs to propogate cuttings. Sounds like it might just work. Thanks, Luke

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here