Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stefblac

Anybody tried aeroponic propagation?

stefblac
15 years ago

Hello,

I am a rose newbie, having just acquired some cuttings which I am attempting to propagate in rock-wool cubes. But I have heard many people noting that roses are difficult to propagate via this method and so I was wondering if anybody had tried to aeroponically clone roses? Aeroponic propagation generally has a very high level of success and I was wondering if this pertained to roses also.

Ok take care

Comments (6)

• ramblinrosez7b
    14 years ago

I thought about doing this but it is too expensive for me.

• kstrong
    14 years ago

For Christmas last year, my bro gave me an Aerogarden (which is an indoor hydroponic grower intended to grow kitchen herbs). It was quickly hijacked into rooting rose cuttings. It works fine, but you still need to spray mist the cuttings at least daily and more if the weather is warm, or else you will lose the leaves before the roots form (at which point the cutting dies). If you can keep the leaves for a few weeks, the roots do eventually show up. In addition to the tablet food that came with the system, I put a couple drops of Dip & Grow and a capful of Superthrive in the recirculating water. Takes about 3-4 weeks to get enough roots to transplant into dirt.

• kstrong
    14 years ago

Follow-up on this Aerogarden experiment -- while I was able to get roots on cuttings, I have not yet been able to get any of them to transfer to soil -- once potted in a planting medium, they just fade away and die.

Does anyone have any idea how to take a hydroponically grown rooted cutting to soil? I obviously am doing it wrong by just sticking it in the soil.

Kathy

• Ann S.
    3 years ago

I’ve done a lot of coneing other plants with clients it’s best to go into a airy meadium after the cloned like rock wool the roots have so much oxygen in the closer that they are staved out in soil so put the roots in rock wool and plant the rock wool in the soil.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

I've actually read of people using rock wool as a rooting medium, but have never tried myself. I wonder how it would do for roses?