Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about rose seedlings

Posted by Blondmyk none (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 30, 13 at 23:24

Last January I decided to try planting some seeds that I'd pulled from some rose hips. I have no idea the variety.

I stratified them in late January and pulled them out in late March and planted them. Of the 12 seeds I chose, only two have come up.

They've only been up for about 4 days now, but I've noticed that one of my little seedlings has turned a purplish color. Can anyone tell me if this is a problem? Should I quarantine this seedling until I know if it's a virus or something?

Any opinions would be most welcome. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about rose seedlings

Turning purple wouldn't be a viral issue. MANY roses can have colored foliage. It all depends upon the genetics of the particular seedling. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had many which were red, purplish, nearly blue even and many of those have become lovely plants. Just enjoy watching them grow into roses no one else has ever seen. Good luck! Kim

o

Thank you for your response! I've been so excited about this as this is the first time that I've ever attempted such a thing. When I was a child I asked my Aunt Barbara about th Rose hips, and she told me that they were used for tea. I asked where Rose seeds came from and she told me she didn't know. I guess I always suspected...lol! It's only been recently that I've had the time to endulge my flower gardening hobby, and this has been just an amazing and fun undertaking. I can't wait to see how they turn out! Thanks again!

o

You're welcome! I'm glad you're finally getting to "play"! I remember reading years ago that during WW II, scurvy was a huge problem in the British Isles due to their inability to ship in fresh produce. They found the hips from the native "Dog Briar", R. Canina, were 25 times higher in Vitamin C than an orange and 60 times higher in Vitamin C than a lemon. Plus, the actual seeds, (which really aren't "seeds" at all, but an achene, "a dry one-seeded indehiscent fruit with the seed distinct from the fruit wall." The word is from the Latin, meaning, "I don't gape". Seeds have two halves where they split open to release the germ. Rose 'seeds' don't. Germination requires the break down of the "seed coat" rather than it opening) are very high in B and other vitamins. Rodents adore the hips and "seeds" for their high vitamin contents. You're going to have fun! Kim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here