Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bev5477

Species Rose: True to Seed

bev5477
15 years ago

Hi There,I hope someone has an answer for me. I planted a Baffin Rose last spring . Baffin is an old, hardy climber that originated in Canada. It did great last summer, blooming well for the first year of growth. Last week, I was cleaning him up and doing my first feeding when I noticed a small, reddish rose bush growing about 7 inches from the base of the larger one. My questions are: 1.)Can a species rose have suckers? 2.)Could this little plant be another Baffin from a fallen hip from last year? 3.)Is there such a thing as a 'sucker plant'? By the way, this little guy is about 4 inches tall with 4 main canes.

Comments (4)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

William Baffin? William Baffin is not a species rose. You might mean that it was own-root. Own root roses can have suckers, and many do. That sucker is also William Baffin. You can try to carefully sever it from the "mother" plant and plant it somewhere else.

Any plants that you might get from seeds of William Baffin might look the same, but wouldn't be William Baffin.

• object16
    15 years ago

very unlikely this is a seedling

• quiltingfox
    15 years ago

I understand when you define own root rose. Can you please define what a species rose is? Will rose seed from a grafted rose have seed of the blooming rose or of the grafted rose? If a grafted rose has suckers will it be of the orginal root stock and not the blooming rose? Thanks.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    15 years ago

Species roses are the origin roses, the earliest. You will see them referred to as "Rosa something", for example Rosa multiflora (also noted as R. multiflora) is a species rose. See the link below for a better description. Most of what we grow now are hybrids.

Seeds will be from the variety that is grafted onto the rootstock.

Suckers could be from the rootstock or from the variety. If the sucker comes from below the graft union, then it is a sucker from the rootstock. If the sucker comes from above the graft union, this is new growth of the grafted variety, we usually call these "basal breaks".

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Garden Rose Primer by Steve Jones

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer