Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dan_the_mailman

any tips on growing roses from bouquets?

dan_the_mailman
11 years ago

I've heard that you can grow roses from the bouquets bought in stores, is that true? And if so, how is it done? I've seen some great looking rose bouquets being sold for Mother's Day, and would like to try my hand at growing some of them if possible. Can anyone give me some advice?

Comments (6)

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

Since you are in a cold zone - those roses in a bouquet might be florist roses grown in greenhouse, and not hardy for outside winter. Here in the rose park, zone 5a, of over 1,000 bushes - the hardy hybrid teas are: Chicago Peace, Heirloom, Tropicana, Double Delight, Midas Touch, Hot Cocoa, and Chysler Imperial. Walmart, Aldi, Kmart, and Menards have those bareroots for under $5.

Karl Bapst, zone 5a Indiana, once listed all the hybrid teas hardy in zone 5a. If you google "Karl Bapst and hardy roses, it will show up the list."

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

It wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Gently scrap off some of the green skin at the bottom of the canes and dip them in a rooting hormone of some type. Then stick them in cups filled with potting or stater soil. I like to use the clear plastic drinking cups so you can see when they get roots. Make sure you poke a hole in the bottom of the cups for drainage. Put them outside in morning sun or dappled sunlight. Keep the soil damp but not soggy and wait. That's the hard part, lol. Good luck!

• strawchicago z5
    11 years ago

I was about to go back, and say "it doesn't hurt to try rooting a hardy rose", but Seil already did. Thanks, Seil, for being supportive.

Below is the link to Karl Bapst's instructions on rooting, you'll see it when you scroll down the bottom of the page.

Here is a link that might be useful: Karl Bapst on rooting rose cuttings

• dan_the_mailman
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I've got my rootone, cups (clear) for growing and covering, and most importantly, roses. I'm going to start the grand experiment tonight. I could get these same roses at home depot, but where's the fun in that...lol? I'd much rather be able to make this work and say that my roses came from floral bouquets. Wish me luck!

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

Fortune favors the prepared. . . Good luck!

• mgleason56
    11 years ago

Dan,
    I do it all the time. At least a few Saturday mornings a year I go out to the whoelsae florist at metro airport and pick up some interesting florist roses to root. I just try and make sure they are not patented. Here is a pic of Papaya, which I rooted a few years ago;
    {{gwi:261208}}

Here is Latin Lady, which although it rooted really easily, just was not strong enough to last a really bad Michigan winter;
    {{gwi:315385}}

If you look under the thread on the pop bottle method, you'll see some advice I lent on rooting these. You can always go out to HMFR and look up my gardens under my lastname (Gleason) where I have my cell phone number if you want extended instructions. Also, if you are in the SE MI area, stop by and I'll walk you through the process.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting