Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold on cuttings - bottle method

Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
Mon, May 21, 12 at 3:37

I have cuttings planted inside in a potting mix under lights on a timer. They are covered by a plastic bottle. I have only watered them once last week and let the condensation do the rest, then watered them again a couple of days ago.
Noticed mold on one. Should I remove the plastic, or spray it with something (do not want to use anyt pesticides) or throw it away and hope it does not spread to the others?
Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold on cuttings - bottle method

Pull the moldy cutting.

No more watering. Leave the bottles on the jugs and the tops on the bottles and don't mess with them. Check from time to time to make sure that there's at least a little bit of condensation inside the bottle, and remove any fallen leaves.

The beauty of the bottle method is that you can leave the bottles alone during the rooting process. It sounds to me like there's too much moisture in your bottle, creating a perfect situation for mold. (Sometimes cuttings mold anyway ... nothing is 100%, and stuff happens.) What rose is this?

Connie

o

• Posted by vettin z6b Northern VA (My Page) on
    Mon, May 21, 12 at 12:10

Abe Darby. Didn't realize that I did not need to water them as long as there was condensation. Thank you!!

o

You might consider treating your cuttings with hydrogen peroxide before striking them. It's slightly acidic and might help "sterilize" them against any pathogens you may bring in on them. Connie is right, ANY condensation inside the bottles raise the humidity, preventing them from drying out. But, too much drowns them, inducing mold. Kim

o

I also would consider trying coco coir instead of potting mix. Very cheap, just stay away from pet stores and find a good hydroponics place to buy from.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here