Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyg_gw

Rooting after displaying?

emilyg
16 years ago

Is it possible to root a rose after it's been sitting in a vase with plain water for a couple of days?

Comments (9)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Yes. A lot of people successfully root roses that the receive as cut flowers from a florist. Shouldn't be any different from your own cut roses that you have on display. Same methods apply.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

That just opens up a whole world of possibilities doesn't it? The wheels are turning in my brain and I think I smell smoke.

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

triple b,
    You're head should be spinning! I have quite a few florist roses I started to root in winter that are just about to open. Cannot wait to see Lipstick, Latin lady, Eskimo bloom!

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Last night in Real Canadian Superstore in the floral section I found rose dozens for $12.99 without the trimmings (greens, baby's breath etc) and one was the most amazing orange with a copper color on the outside of the petals. The color combination is very much like "About Face" a rose which my husband and I are recently enamoured with. So I can get that actual plant for the same price at Cedar Hollow, or I can buy a dozen stems and try and root them. Being a newbie at this whole deal I may have success but I may not. However I do not know the actual name of this florist beauty. It would be a bit of a 'dark horse'. Things that make you go hmmmm.....

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

It won't be About Face, but maybe something like Leonidas. One word of warning I forgot to mention on the other posts; A florist rose growing in your garden may not look at all like the one you picked out. Remember, these are grown in greenhouses in Ecuador under perfect conditions. Still worth trying no matter what.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Actually I was a bad girl tonite. I went online and ordered an "About Face" from my favorite rose grower. And a Molineux too. I sneak them into my parents' yard. When they get back from Wales they will think they came home to the wrong house. Actually I am going to keep Molineux with me in a large pot so I can admire it without having to drive half an hour first.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I looked up Leonidas, and it looks like About Face will be the better rose for here anyway. Leonidas needs zone 7 and is suspect to mildew. About Face seems somewhat bulletproof. Hopefully if things go my way, I will be taking cuttings off it in a year or so. This place I buy from propogates Own Root roses on location so it is a very young plant I am getting. Hmmm I should pick their brains....

• mgleason56
    16 years ago

Do not use the zone listed on Melp Me Find Roses. It is way too generic. All HT's are listed as zone 7. I am in zone 5, and have over 400 different HT's. If they did not survive, I would not be growing them.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Good to know, thanks. The fact that it is mildew prone is enough for me anyway. I like mine bulletproof.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County