Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pierow128

Dynamite fertlizer. URGENT

pierow128
16 years ago

I went to Lowes when I purchased my newest two roses and they suggested the fertilizer Dynamite. I was wondering if anyone has heard of this before, and if it works well on roses. I already put it in the soil, and the roses seem to not be doing so well.

I am slightly concerned because some of the leaves on the old growth are turning yellow and losing moisture. This might be because the plant is in shock after being transplanted, but it might also be because I really messed up and messed up the PH level, or gave it something that is killing it.

I have only had the two plants for about a week now and no leaves have fallen off yet, I have picked some off though.

If it is my fault that the plants are dying, should I replant them without the fertilizer?

Also, do you know if fertilizer can effect propagation of roses? and if it does, which increase the survival rate, and which decrease it?

Are there any minerals or ingredients I should stay weary of? or ones that I should make sure that my roses have?

Comments (9)

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

Is the fertilizer timed release or immediate?

I am pretty sure I have read on here if you worry about fertilizer damage to water water water to dilute the chemicals. I have had the tips of leaves crisp and turn brown and always thought that was due to fertilizer and not enough watering during summer.

Hopefully someone else can chime in, but I think I would start watering quite a bit.

Are they established roses or new little bands? That can make a difference too. Newly rooted roses or bands are said to only take dilute strength water soluble fertilizer only for their first year.

Hope this helps some,
    Marleah

• pierow128
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hmmm. it is timed release. for 9 months...

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

I guess if you can dig up the roses without disturbing their roots and upsetting them more it might be worth replanting them in soil without the fertilizer. How many roses are we talking about?

Still hoping someone else can chime in and confirm if what you are experiencing is "fertilizer burn" or not.

Marleah

• lilydude
    16 years ago

Dynamite is slow-release and not very concentrated. It has only been in your soil for a few days, so it is extremely unlikely that it has anything to do with the yellowing of the leaves.

• pierow128
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So then what could other culprits be.

Would over watering have any effects?
    or maybe a disease. I will spray them soon anyway, but that would help. If I knew how to put pictures up here I would take a couple...

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Sounds like transplant shock. Some roses lose a few leaves, some lose all of them, some lose none of them. What do you consider "over watering"? Do you have heavy, clay soil that may be holding too much water? Don't fertilize them while they are under stress, wait until the yellowing stops.

Posting photos: You need to upload your photos, Photobucket.com is a good place to use, and it is easy. Go to photobucket.com. Create an account (free), create an album. Upload your photos. Once you upload your photos, go back into your "Album". Under each photo there are three boxes. Copy ALL of the text in the box marked "HTML Tag" (actually, just click in the box, the text will be copied automatically). Then come back here and paste that text into the Message box here, your photo will be displayed.

• pierow128
    Original Author
    16 years ago

well your probably right. I got home today and about 6 leaves had fallen off.
    In transplant shock, do the leaves turn yellow first?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Yes, the leaves turn yellow and then drop off.

• pierow128
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I sprayed for spider mites as well. they have the same symptoms. it can't hurt... i made sure of that.

but other than that I think i will just go about my hybridization as normal. but not using that as the seed parent. I don't know if my rose can handle the need of energy required...

Do you think that it will be able to take care of the demands of being the seed parent?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner