Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Topiary Tree: What type of rose to use?

Posted by shelley_t z5 IL (My Page) on
Wed, May 20, 09 at 9:10

I want to make my own rose topiary. Hopefully, I don't have to graft anything... I was thinking I could prune out side shoots to one central leader on a bush type rose like knockout... but now I wonder if they use climbers. Does anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Topiary Tree: What type of rose to use?

I have a Belinda's Dream rose tree. I know that it isn't a climber. It's quite beautiful. But I haven't a clue how they are done.

o

I posted on this a couple of years ago, and found out a couple of things. First..if your roses die down to the ground, or snow level each year, then it won't work, because you'd be starting from the ground each year. Second..there was a suggestion about building a container type thing to put around the rose every winter and fill with leaves to insulate it,then it **might** live...
having said that, and being in zone 5 also, if I were to try it, I would probably try it with a rugosa, as they are the most cane hardy around here..
there is a rose tree that can be planted directly in the ground and will live..i can't remember it's name..perhaps if you post on the roses forum someone might know. if i remember correctly, it was a single, but i'm not sure..good luck...donna

o

It is a single, and very beautiful. Mine is covered with blooms at the moment. It's called "Polar Joy" and was developed by Bailey's nursery here in Minnesota.
GaryStPaul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here