Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susaninthegarden

Growing seedings question

susaninthegarden
16 years ago

When you are trying to get the seeds to sprout do you keep them in the dark or in the light?

Also what temperature is best for them to sprout in?

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

The seeds need a period of cold, then regular temps.

I had some sprout right in the fridge and I planted them up as soon as the root tip was showing.

(I wrapped the seeds in a moist paper towel)

I learned a lot by going to this site:
    http://www.rosehybridizers.org/index.html

have fun :)
    Marleah

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Marleah. That is a pretty informative site. So they don't need to have light and they don't need particularly warm temps to sprout.
    The ones I have haven't sprouted yet. sighs. They do have bulges etc on them. Is that a hopeful sign?
    I am getting very impatient I know but it seems everyone else on here has them all sprouted and even with flowers so it makes me wonder if there is something we haven't done.
    Mine are in a zip lock bag on a damp papertowel folded several times. The seeds were outside till a month or so ago but look good. They were still on the bush but they weren't dried out or bad looking in any way.

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

I was also told by someone who does a lot of hybridizing to get them out of the fridge and just plant them and see what happens. He told me that some seeds will never sprout in the fridge.

So I have taken them out, planted them, the cats turned over the whole tray, so I scooped up the dirt and seeds threw in as much as I could get and said a prayer.

Havent seen anything come up yet :)

Marleah

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We can both just cross our fingers then. Maybe some just take longer.
    Mine aren't in the fridge. They are hmm moved around a bit looking for a nice warm place for them. lol.
    Maybe I ought to just plant them. Never was much for this papertowel idea for other plants or even pre-sprouting of other seeds.
    Hmm Maybe put part in pots and keep part out?
    Do you know if the bumps are on all or if that means they are getting ready to do something?

• pierow128
    16 years ago

Your's may not have sprouted because they paper towel was too moist, I read somewhere that the seeds should never be soggy.
    And it also takes like 60 days. plus or minus to sprout in the fridge.

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So I wonder how long it takes for them to sprout outside the fridge? Since they were out all winter I never did put them in the fridge.

• pierow128
    16 years ago

they may have dried up. did you try to reconstitute the seeds?

• susaninthegarden
    Original Author
    16 years ago

They are nice and plump. The hips weren't dried when I took the seeds out either.
    They definately got their share of cold this winter.
    I float tested them and they all sunk like rocks, although I have read that isn't always a good test because some that float are still fine. I guess that would mean that some that sink are not good also.
    They are on a damp towel but are not soggy.
    If it is 60 days after being put in baggie I probably have another couple of weeks?
    This fall I am definately going to grab the seeds then instead of waiting but this is pretty educational and I don't see any reason yet for them to not sprout.
    Still hoping. :)