Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellerbend

Cloning machine - what am I doing wrong?

kellerbend
15 years ago

I bought a Clonex plant cloning machine - 30 unit, and I've had miserable success with it. I'm a relatively experienced gardener, but have never cloned plants with this method. I know that my cuttings have been good and are generally from plants that are not difficult to propagate - hydrangeas, lilac, viburnum, etc. I'm using a cloning gel that has worked for me in the past with traditional propagation. I'm doing this in my basement with a fluorescent light about 6-8 inches above the top growth. The instructions say that the water temp. needs to be between 68-72 degrees, and I've had difficulty keeping it that low. With the humidity buildup in the chamber, the water temp runs more like 78-80. Is that too hot? Should I add a liquid cloning solution to the water resevoir? Also, the "misters" on my machine don't really mist as I would define the term, but spray at a constant rate. It's not a heavy spray, but certainly not what I'd call a mist. Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz