Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grow Rugosa cultivar from seeds in the hips

Posted by jujujojo 6b (My Page) on
Wed, May 1, 13 at 10:03

My neighbour has a row of 5 tall and beautiful Rosa Rugosa cultivar. They bloom profusely once in the Spring with heavenly scent. The later summer blooms are only sporadic and not fragrant. It produces a number of red rose-hips. After a cold winder of many freezing days, I collected 3 hips yesterday April 30. Two are still orange and one is grey. I opened the hips. The orange ones contain light brown-coloured seeds. The grey one contains dark brown seeds. The coat of the seeds is shiny and woody - see pictures. There is a line on each seed. The seeds look full and viable. However, I placed these in water and the seed float on top of water. My questions:

1. Do I still need to place these in the refrigerator before I attempt to germinate them?

2. The seeds were exposed to freezing and dry conditions in the hips. Will they still germinate?

3. Do they require darkness to germinate?

4. Will soaking the seeds in hot water help them germinate?

5. How long does it take for them to germinate?

I am hoping to have a few large shrubs in a section of my yard.

photo 0052_zps26382d4b.jpg

photo 011_zps86c6554e.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grow Rugosa cultivar from seeds in the hips

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 2, 13 at 20:12

There is some question as to whether seeds that float are viable. I plant them anyway but have never kept records to see if they germinate of not. It's also thought that frozen seeds don't germinate. However, I know that I have used seed that was kept frozen by a friend for at least a year in his freezer and they germinated just fine. Besides, in nature they're usually frozen over the winter before they germinate in the spring. So I say it's worth a try. And I don't think soaking in hot water will be of any help at all.

There are many threads on here about how to germinate the seeds. I suggest you do a search and read some of them because there are many ways to do it.

I clean the seeds, and I mean scrub them clean. You want to make sure you get all of the hip material off because it can inhibit germination. Once they're cleaned I wrap them in a damp paper towel and place them in a zip bag and put them in the fridge. After about 4 weeks I start to check them. Normally I start to get some germinations around 6 weeks but you never know. It also depends on the variety of rose and I don't know anything about rugosas. Once they germinate I place them into seed starter trays and let them grow until they have two sets of true leaves. Then I put them into large clear drinking cups, with holes in the bottoms, until they are big enough to pot into a 1 gallon pot. As I said I don't know anything about rugosas but usually once blooming seedlings can take up to 3 years to bloom the first time.

Now go read how some others do it because there are a lot of different methods and you need to find the one that works for you. Enjoy!

o
RE: Grow Rugosa cultivar from seeds in the hips

seil z6b MI,
Thank you so much. After I soaked them in hot water, 50% sink in water now. I will try your method. After they germinate, I plan to just put them in my yard and let them grow naturally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here