Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP!! My First Time Growing Attempt & the Rose Canes Look Dead!

Posted by beths_roses Vermont (My Page) on
Tue, May 30, 06 at 10:17

Hello!
Although I'm a total novice to growing roses, and if truth be told I'm on this site to "find out answers about growing Cecile Brunner roses as well as the Zepherine Drouhin. I planted 3 of each last year, and they all took hold rapidly and grew many feet of canes. The Cecile Brunner even produced blooms; one produced about a dozen beautiful little "perfect" pink roses! And they were so heavily scented! Just from those few blooms!

My searching today though, in desperation I might add too, is that I have NO SIGNS OF LIFE on ANY of my 3 Cecile Brunners, PLUS their canes are do dark and really THORNY. And only one of my Zephirines have 'come to life" ~ the others look so dormant.

My question today is "am I not being patient enough?" Our growing season here in Vermont is short, and although we did have a mild winter, as winters go around here (which I was thankful for having just planted them in June last year) I'm worried I need to do something or they're not going to come back. Especially too because one of the Zephirines has been growing rapidly and has ALOT of leaves already, which all remaining 5 plants look dark and dormant.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can share.

Most appreciative,

Beth in Vermont

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP!! My First Time Growing Attempt & the Rose Canes Look D

• Posted by remy 6WNY (My Page) on
    Tue, May 30, 06 at 23:02

Beth,
I'm sorry to say, but it sounds like they are dead. The thorniness of the canes means nothing, but the darkness does. If you cut into them, you will see brown instead of a green rim with a white center.
But check the bases of the plants, you may have some good growth there. If you do, cut away all the dead stuff.
I wish I could tell you why the one Zephirine is doing well and the others didn't. Was the ground different there? Was it moister or drier in that spot during the winter? Did it have more protection from extra mulch or a building? You'll have to figure it out.
When the forsythias bloom is when it is time to trim roses and they really start to grow at the point so you know for next year.
I do hope you don't give up on roses. And next time post onthe regular or antique rose forum, you'll get way more responses and quickly too: )
Remy

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses for the North

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here