Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagating fortiniana....

Posted by Adrift-in-beauty 9b (wacshbar05@live.com) on
Thu, May 29, 14 at 12:17

So i have this giant "sucker" comming off of my fortuniana rootstock. I would like to take a cutting to grow it before i cut it off . As you can see its very new soft growth , so when is it a good idea to take a cutting . Its not hurting the grafted on rose at all its growing fast and blooming so im in no rush to cut it off . And when i am ready do i just prune it of like any unwanted branch or what do i do. Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagating fortiniana....

Here a good pic of it wheres its growing from

o

1. The picture shows the sucker of the Fortuniana is too tender for cutting yet. You can trim the tip of the sucker, it will grow some side branches from top of the main sucker. When the side branches is not easily break by the finger, then is the right time to make the main sucker and or the branches cutting by using any methods which you feel is comfortable.
2. For the safe side, you also can use regular layering or air layering to root the sucker.
3. Good lucks.

o

Never tryed air layering ill have to google it. And i thought itbwas to new and soft thanks for helping me out on that . Do i think i can trim the top now to get it to branch out or wait till it's older wood ...thanks agian

o

Yes, you can trim the tip of the sucker now, doing so can accelerate the sucker grow harder (stronger). You can also leave it to grow longer without trim it, eventually it will send out side branches and get harder.
Go Google or library to find out the Air Layering method. It's easy to do and almost high rooting rate, it's a lot of fun too.

This post was edited by gardentiller on Fri, May 30, 14 at 23:56

o

When i plant this roses in the ground could i covet the part where the sucker is attached with peat moss and keep it moist for a few months ... do you think that will cause it to root.

o

This sucker shoot is well over three feet now . Would now be a good time to trim it down bye a third and try airlayering .

o

So nows a good.time to trim the lil tassel on top and that will help it harden . Lol i am tryibg ao hard to be patient . I have three other foruniana cuttings. Am trying to root

o

I think that sucker is draining the nourishment and energy from those plants therefore slowing the growth.

The proper way to remove a sucker is to snatch it off in a downward motion.

I have successfully rooted green fort suckers. In fact I have one now in a pot of water. It is still green and healthy after 3 weeks.

Veronica

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about this...

o

I went to visit a friend of mine a day after Christmas last year. She showed me the round vase with a tiny opening (about ½ inch wide) and filled with 5 Fortunianas with lot of healthy roots.
I just wondered how can she put these cuttings out of the jar?

This post was edited by gardentiller on Mon, Jun 16, 14 at 23:41

o

Either work them out one at a time or break the jar. Too bad...

o

How did she make them root id love to try rooting in water

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here