Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybridizing Roses: What to do when it rains

Posted by ramblinrosez7b SNJ (My Page) on
Fri, May 26, 06 at 12:37

I just made about 8 crosses about 3 hours ago and it is going to rain, do I need to cover them? If so what is the best way to do this? And I was always curious about this, how long does it take for a rose to become pregnant with child after you apply the pollen? Thanks so much

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybridizing Roses: What to do when it rains

Most crosses did not take for me when it was raining after pollination, even though I put umbrellas over the whole bush. Was lucky to have 30 % to set seeds.

In 1989 I gave up with roses in the ground after 20 years of hybridizing big roses in the open. Now I have all my seedparents in 2 to 5 gall. pots which are under my porch for a week before and after pollination. I am getting 70 to 80 percent seedset now. Read some of my articles on my web-site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Roses of Excellence

o

George thanks so much for your reply. You have a very interesting web-site, I bookmarked it in my favorites so I can visit it again, there is a great deal of information on there that I know I will need. Thanks for posting it.

I guess I will have to start planting roses in pots which I really wanted to avoid, I have no where to keep them through the winters.
Another question I wanted to ask is do you think it is ok to spray for BS or to use fertilizer a few weeks after pollination?? I know it is very necessary to keep your plants with hips very healthy. I did use the Bayer 3 in 1 about a month ago and am thinking of using it again in another 3 weeks. What is your experience with this? Thanks again!

o

Yes, I can answer your two questions.
# 1 : About 8 to 10 days after pollination you can spray a fungicide again.
# 2 : Wait 3 to 4 weeks, go easy on the fertilizer and use less than normal. I have always been reading, starve your seedparents and you may get a higher percentage of seedset.

Some varieties, (eg, Fragrant Cloud) are difficult to get seedset. I have been reading a lot about this variety and when I tried it, only one out of 20 crosses would take on a budded plant. Then I tried an own root plant (which do not grow too vigorously) and 8 out of 10 took. After my discovery I always used own root plants if possible.

o

George, thanks for answering my questions and also for the advice on own root plants. Now I have about 5 plants that I started from cuttings that are about 2 years old, would these be on thier own roots?

o

Yes, since you started these from cuttings, they are "Own root plants"
George

o

Thanks George. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here