Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Query about the length of a cutting

Posted by mike_jw London. UK (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 13:33

My wife took a single pencil-thickness cutting of the floribunda rose 'Radox Bouquet'. In the first year it got off to a very slow start. But now, after about 2 or 3 years is producing more and more stems and flowers.

Links to photos:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/ISO1/4e0e6223.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d152/ISO1/ebfad451.jpg

But, as you can see, all the growth is at the top of the original stem. Its never been pruned, as we were worried that there might not be any 'eyes' lower down. Is it possible that the cutting should have been longer so that any dormant eyes would have been below the soil surface?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Query about the length of a cutting

It does appear to be sending out all new growth higher up on the plant instead of at ground level. If it were mine I would take cuttings from new growth(after flowering) and aim for at least 1 bud eye above cut but planted underground when rooting.I'm not sure how tall the plant is now but perhaps you could replant it deeper with the section sending out the growth at ground level (wait until you get some rooted cuttings in case you lose the mother plant) I have the same rose known as Thornbury Castle to me , it is lovely and quite easy to root.

o

The length of the bare stem from ground level to where the new stems are growing is 12in/30cms, so it would have to be re-planted a foot deeper in order to 'loose' the main stem.

Your idea of taking further cuttings is a good one but, with us, they take so long to produce a decent size.

o

My other concern is that the stem probably can't support much more top growth.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Tue, May 29, 12 at 19:05

That shaft looks pretty sturdy to me. I've often gotten grafted roses that looked like that and they do just fine. The only other thing I could suggest would be to dig it up and bury it deeper and see if it send up some new basal breaks then.

o

I take cuttings with only 2 nodes. The bottom node leaf is removed, and the top leaf is retained. The root itself will form new buds, and you should get canes coming up from the root. See the object16 thread about cuttings taken in the fall - his cuttings are all taken with two nodes only, and I have seen the bushes lately, and they are sending up immense numbers of canes from the root.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here