Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triple_b

...so I gave it the ultimatum

triple_b
15 years ago

My one and only survivor from last years' newbie hamfisted attempts at rooting was just sitting there. Green, but not doing anything. There it sat, in a nice sunny spot amongst leafed out companions looking UGLY. I accidentally cooked the first set of leaves with an ill-timed spraying for aphids. But since it has just SAT there. I realized that what I was doing was not working so it was time to do something else. So I took it up the hill to my (community therefore temporary) garden plot and plunked it in. Plenty of bonemeal (The roots looked good), and topped with some nice composted stuff. Gave it a drink and said "There you go, live or die. It's your choice."

Better than having a stick staring me in the face all the time.

Comments (15)

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

a couple days of nice rain and things are looking better. Still alive and I think I saw/felt a spot where it is starting to swell, the beginning of a shoot. Maybe a kick in the pants and some rain was just what it needed. :o)

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

Good for you. Keep us posted on the progress. I had one of my roses broken down with the weight of the snow this winter. It wasn't quite broken completely off, and started to leaf out. There was a new cane coming up from below the ground where it was broken, so I cut it off, and have make come cuttings to try. They've only been in their domed home a week, and the leaves which were not all the way open are looking yellow and limpy. I know from reading other posts that I need to leave them alone for 4 to 6 weeks and not take the cover off, but it's killing me.

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

from what I have gleaned on this fabulous forum, the leaves can do what they want. As long as the cane itself remains green.
    It is SO hard to not fiddle with things though. Pick it up, look underneath and whatnot. Like not lifting the lid on the rice pot.

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It snuffed it. So last year's first time attempt at rooting was a 100% failure. That is OK. I have thought things through and will make some significant changes this time.

1. I will overwinter them under lights to keep them actively growing rather than makeing them go dormant in an unheated garage.
    2. I sprayed for aphids at a bad time and cooked the first leaves. Won't do THAT again.
    3. Different rooting medium.
    4. Better labelling, as my attempts will be more deliberate this year.

• gilli2007
    15 years ago

I kept mine growing under lights all winter. They did great and then in the spring I thought I would put them out in my greenhouse to harden off a bit. I took them out gradually etc. They were doing fine until we had a surprise heavy freeze. "There go my cuttings" I thought. They all lost their leaves and looked very sad. However, in a few weeks they started budding out again. Now they are planted out in the garden and, with one exception, are growing happily. Now I have to deal with the leafhoppers that are trying to make a meal out of them. :o)

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I knew mine were dead when they turned into naked brown sticks.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

We have a special "sink or swim" part of the yard at my mom's house :)

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Call it 'tough love' then right?

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

Hi, I started my cuttings in the fall, instead of letting the bush go to waste by winterkill, I harvested the bush, and stuck every last bit of possible cutting. As a result I ended up with 70 nicely rooted cuttings, that I grew on over the winter, and now I have the equivalent of a 2 year old cutting, all done during the winter, which is normally a wasted time period for us gardeners. Cannabis Sativa.

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cutttings of WHAT?? Haha.
    From my sordid past I do know that your 'specialty' is a complex and interesting plant. So I am thinking you probably know something about gardening. :o)
    Is it for medicinal purposes? Are you connected to Compassionate Friends? Just curious. It is no longer part of my life but I do appreciate the fact that it definitley has medicinal qualities.

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

Well the partly opened leaves on mine all got moldy. I tried coir for my medium for the first time. maybe it was too wet. I will try again in the Fall.

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

Oh, sorry, it was the rose cuttings, I was talking about. I used to take cannabis for medical purposes. Currently I've been able to master the technique of
    behavioural modification for my symptoms, so I no longer grow or use it. Cannabis has extremely potent medicinal qualities, and is completely legal to grow for any purpose in Spain. We have the political problems in USA and Canada that our legislature is beholden to big money and corporations. Big Pharma, the Distilleries, Big Tobacco, Law Enforcement and Detention Industries all make massive profits by keeping cannabis illegal, and there is a racism aspect to it as well, since the Latino and especially the African American prefer cannabis, and this is a handy excuse to keep them in jail. Which is a real shame. I have personal experience, and cannabis really is nature's gift to man. Right now, however, it's just roses and clivias for me. The name cannabisgrower was still available when I registered, and since I'm proud of my skills in cannabis cultivation, I took it. Peace, Sativa.

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Peace to you too. :o)
    I kind of figured you were talking about rose cuttings, I was just being cheeky as usual.
    They are debating passing a bill to regulate natural remedies, like what you find in the Health Food stores and on viatmin shelves. One good thing is that the amount of active ingredient will be properly monitored, as well as purity. On the other hand it also opens up the door for Big Pharma to restrict alot of these items too. Certain spices and ingredients in traditional Chinese cooking may fall victim to this I understand. Where does it end? Are they going to regulate bulbs of fresh garlic or what??

• cannabisgrower
    15 years ago

I think this bill before the Canadian parliament has cannabis underlying it, thinly veiled.
    They want more freedom to search without a warrant. This is part of the right wing Harper agenda. Cannabis cuttings are far easier to propagate than rose cuttings, but believe it or
    not, I actually did start out my indoor growing with germinating rose achenes. I just planted 14 of my rose cutting rose bushes today, at the community Lighted Cross Garden; they look real nice, and several are in bloom.
    I'm putting in 26 tomorrow, to line both sides of the 50 foot walkway to the cross. Sativa.

• triple_b
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ahh I just checked your profile and you ARE a Canadian. Many of the good folks in the US usually don't even know the name of the Canadian Prime Minister, let alone what wing he sits on. That explains THAT. :o)

All the best with your rose planting! Take pictures??