Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

Interesting rose rooting video on the industrial scale.

caflowerluver
11 years ago

Just came across this video on stenting. It is amazing how many roses big companies root at one time. Just thought I would share it. And your computer is not broken, there is no sound.

Clare

Here is a link that might be useful: stenting at Anton Verbeek New Roses International

Comments (8)

• roseseek
    11 years ago

Thanks Clare, that was interesting! Sequoia used to do something similar to produce mini tree roses. Mr. Moore used three pound coffee cans with holes punched around their lower side, about an inch above the bottom so that much water would collect in them before the excess flowed out the holes.

The mist table they were used on was outdoors, surrounded by trees so it received periods of direct sun and dappled sun throughout the day.

Long stems of Pink Clouds were disbudded, all but the one or two top buds, then the appropriate minis were grafted to them just below the top buds. Usually two grafts were made per stem so the tops would be well balanced. After grafting, they were laid on the mist table to prevent drying out, until the desired number were grafted, then all of the same variety were tied or rubber banded together and placed in the coffee can. Many stems could be grafted of as many different varieties desired as would fit, then left on that mist table where the mist would prevent them from drying out; the inch of standing water in the can bottom would also help keep them hydrated; the available sunlight and daily heat would encourage the grafts to heal and take and the stems would simultaneously root. Once rooted, they would be removed, separated and individually potted, then placed in the green house where the heat and high humidity prevented them from desiccating until they began growing in the soil. About this time, the Pink Clouds growth would be removed from the tops. Until then, their foliage feed the stems until the grafts took and roots formed. Once sufficient root development was achieved, they could be gradually moved out in to the outdoor sales area where they would finish acclimating to the "real world", and develop into a finished, retail-ready mini tree rose.

This was one of several methods they used to produce all those lovely mini trees. Kim

• caflowerluver
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kim - That is interesting. I guess you have to do it on that scale if you are in business. I am happy if a I get one to root. LOL
    Clare

• t_bred
    11 years ago

That was amazing to watch, they make it look so easy!

• roseseek
    11 years ago

It IS, with practice! It's only the mystery and magic about such things which prevent us from attempting them. Strip away the mystery and explain the logic and technique behind the magic and they are no more difficult than pruning. Kim

• iliasred
    9 years ago

Does anyone know where they get the trays and media shown at 04:14 . I would like to get some of that media that looks like a hi tech jiffy peat pellet.

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Thank you for the link

I sure wish they would explain what the steps they were doing were.

And I wonder what they were spraying on them

• kfoxxed
    9 years ago

My only question is, how do they ensure the root-stock and scion have the exact same diameter so that when they 'clothespin' them together [JEEZ!], the cambium layers match up?

• roseseek
    9 years ago

They probably either have a huge stock production facility or buy them commercially. They don't have to be EXACTLY the same. There is a "close enough" range which you probably quickly learn to either eyeball or feel. Add providing them with computer controlled conditions after pinning together and they very likely get an outrageously high percent take. It really doesn't have to be all that precise. You only need one contact point between the two cambium layers. Of course the greater the contact the stronger and faster growing the scion. Kim