Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Advice on rooting cuttings in coir

I have had some success using a variety of growing mediums but no where near 100%. My issue seems to be stem rot even when there is new growth. I have some canes that are rotting but I see callusing futher up the stem. Would you cut the rotted part of the stem and stick it back in and hope for the best?

I usually fill 1/2 of a clear shoe box with 1-2 inches of coir. I make it moist by using a mister. For the cuttings themselves I cut the stem around 5-7 inches and pull of 2 or three lower leaves so the nodes can root. Also I try to scrape underneath a node (around the whole stem) without cutting off the node itself. Then I usually use rootone or a rooting gel.

Strange as it is hit or miss, can't figure out why some root well and others rot. Also since I am in Florida should I keep these covered shoe boxes in my lanai as opposed to outside the lanai? I guess sun isn't that important if it is going to cook the cuttings. It may be 5 degrees cooler in the lanai in the shade and the temps are already staying steady in the 80's outside.

Comments (10)

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's the clear show box filled with coconut coir to a depth of approx 2"

Here is the stem that shows the callus forming but below it is the rotted stem:

Here is another stem that just didn't make it, which is odd as it was in the same growing medium as the one thats callussing:

Here's the other one that is still green and partially rotting but no callus:

Any idea why all these vary so much but are all in the same environment? I'd like a little more consistency with my cuttings.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also another question is the cuttings I have that have rooted, there is a single stem. Will cuttings turn into hearty plants as I thought the rule of thumb when buying roses were to make sure there are 3-5 strong lower canes where anytime you root a cutting there will be a single stem, at most 2 if you take a "Y" branch to root.

• msjam2
    16 years ago

It looks like the coir is too wet. I don't have much luck with using coir, I have more success with sticking the cutting directly into potting soil.

• seamommy
    16 years ago

You wouldn't be too wet if you had adequate drainage in the bottom of your box. Also, if you are misting, your medium just gets wetter and wetter. And the canes themselves may be drying out. Cheryl

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Its not super saturated and since I use the other identical clear shoe box half as the cover I never need to mist other than when I first plant them, so the canes never dry out. Am I supposed to take the lid off for a few hours a day for air circulation?

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

msjam the reason I went to coir is I was having horrible success with different potting soils. Pro Mix, Fafard, Miracle Grow, SunGro Agri #4 were hit or miss, and my own blend garnering the highest success of the soils I've used but still less than 50%, therefore I started using coir.

Any thoughts though on why some are rooting successful and others not in the same container?

• msjam2
    16 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you, some roots very easily for me and others don't. I have more success rooting in fall rather than in Spring, I tried many times this time last year and none of my cuttings rooted. In my very limited experience, the fatter the cutting (cane) the better it roots for me. Anything less than the size of a pencil was a waste of time and energy.

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks MSjam. For the sake of the ones that callus but have the ends rotted, would you prune off the rotted part or not worry about it and wait for roots?

• pkapeckopickldpepprz
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good point rosyone, I may try the layer of perlite at the bottom thanks.

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington