Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
declipse

WANTED climbing roses to transplant

declipse
16 years ago

I have not raised roses in over 12 years, but I have missed them dearly. I have a new arbor and am wanting to plant climbing rosebushes on either side of it. I live in Macomb Township. About 45 minutes north of Detroit.

Is it possible to transplant rosebushes? Particularly because I do not want to wait until they grow as big as the arbor...I am hoping that someone may want to be rid of a couple that I could dig up and replant. It seems possible to root them? I never knew that...but I am hoping to plant now, vs. rooting, etc.

I have a clay soil where I know live. I'm not sure if I should plant directly into the clay. I have a garden book that suggest just putting a minimal amount of topsoil and allowing the rose to grow in the clay...but that just doesn't seem possible.

I am hoping for a red rose. It sounds like Rambling Red does well in this zone. New Dawn sounds like another good option for constant flowers. I also read about "awakening" which sounds similar to New Dawn but with a double bloom instead of a semi double bloom like the New Dawn. I'm also considereing planting clematis along with it to extend the color through the season. Is there any reason this would not be a good idea?

THANKS!

Comment (1)

Sponsored