Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting geared up to try rooting roses again..

Posted by mmmgonzo z7 OR (My Page) on
Tue, May 12, 09 at 16:20

I am somewhat nervous to try again this year...

Quite a few years ago I had tremendous success. (over 100 roses rooted)

The next year I thought smugly to myself "hah this is childs play.. easy as pie" and lost almost all of my cuttings to rot. I don't think I did anything differently.

going to give it the ol' college try again this year, but dont know what to expect. Hopefully sucess :)

-Marleah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting geared up to try rooting roses again..

Marleah..most rot in cuttings is due to having your rooting medium too wet..remember, they don't have roots yet, so keep them dryer than you would think is right. They need humidity, so cover them with a soda bottle or a plastic sheeting, anything to keep the humidity in. One other thing I do is to always water cuttings in the morning so they aren't sitting in colder, damper temps overnight. Take notes, it really does help you see patterns and remember what you've done from year to year..Good luck...Donna

o

They will rot if the medium is wet. Remember, U are going to have them covered with plastic of some sort, so the humidity is close to 100%, and all U need is for the medium to be damp, for the stem to sprout roots. Google search for George Mander, and there was another poster here before that had some good threads based on Mander's work, he went by the name object16.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nice thread about successful rooting.

o

What did you do with 100 rooted cuttings?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here