Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippi21

Rooting rose cuttings

pippi21
13 years ago

I found some simple instructions on Thriftyfun.com website called rose bush cuttings..it listed several ways to root the cuttings..the method that seems the easiest for me is to poke a pencil sized hole directly in ground or into small pot. Use the top half of a 2 liter soda, plastic baggy or a glass jar to cover the cuttings and create humid, greenhouse-like conditions but remove it to allow for air circulation once in a while. If the cutting gets too wet, it will rot. You can use cuttings for this(6 inches)to make covering them more manageable. If rooting in pots, use a 1 to 1 mixture of potting soil and vermiculite(or perlite)

Make a 1/2 inch vertical slit in the base of cuttings will help encourage rooting. Always use a sharp prunning shears when taking cuttings to prevent crushing the stems. Cuttings should root in 4 to 8 weeks. Test them with a tug. If they resist, they;ve probably rooted.

Seems simple but here's maybe a stupid question. What time of the year would be best to take these cuttings and do you take a cutting that has a bud/or bloom on it? I think I must have missed a step..dipping the butt end into rootone, water it afterwards. Does this make sense?

Comments (7)

• Virginia
    13 years ago

I've had most success rooting cuttings taken in the fall, but have also have done it in June.

Given how easy it is to do this, and how little expense is involved, I'd say try it any time!

I use a slightly different method, which I have linked below.

Ginny

Here is a link that might be useful: Paul Barden

• jeffcat
    13 years ago

What's the ultimate importance of Barden and others "sealing" the air supply out with new cuttings? Is their any physiological reason for this? I understand that the environment needs to be humid, but I would almost think the complete lack of O2 would be detrimental. I only say this as I use the 2L pop bottle technique and I always propogate my cuttings with the cap off the top of the 2L bottle and the environment stays plenty humid, but still allows some air circulation.

But whatever works I suppose.

• collinw
    13 years ago

I use the baggie method, but I put a pot in the bag. All I do is blow up the bag when it gets deflated and I have about a 75% rate of success. I have about 100 cuttings in my kitchen window right now!

• leoncio516
    13 years ago

best if tooken in the morning with SPENT blooms on it(remove these)this lets you know it is not too hard nor too soft with out water stress.Another way is to pop off a thorn. If it bends or punctures you it is bad.If it suddenly pops it is good.

• klinko16
    13 years ago

you can take the cutting as long as there is a maturing flower bud on the end of it. it works best in between the time the bud is starting to show color, until after the bloom falls apart and the petals fall off. this is referred to as a semi ripe cutting. it is not too woody and not too green. if the rose is of the re blooming type, it is supplying a constant source of cuttings. if you like, you can wait until just after the first snow, and then chop up the entire bush - this can supply you with a hundred or more cuttings, is you have a big job, like supplying a public park with stock for a new rose garden. i actually did this a couple of years ago.

• lookin4you2xist
    13 years ago

@ leoncio, "Another way is to pop off a thorn. If it bends or punctures you it is bad.If it suddenly pops it is good." never have heard it put that way. Good way of putting it.

Sorry, I can not be of help here really, I live in Florida, so I can pretty much do cuttings year round. I do what some call "stenting" or top grafting. Much faster, as the rootstock and the grafted part of the rose are both going at the same time. But, you have to have a misting system for it.

I never had the best luck with cuttings, until I got a misting system. I went from about 25% to over 80% I spend A LOT less time fussing with the plants. When I first got it, I would check it at least 5 times a day! My biggest problem with a misting system is hardening off the plants. That is when I get the most losses.

I will say a lot of people prefer liquid and not powdered rootone.Best of Luck!

• sylviatexas1
    13 years ago

I seemed to always lose a lot of cuttings when I used a rooting hormone;
    maybe the powders are too strong.

Willow water is excellent, as is saliva:
    boil some willow twigs or cuttings, let the water cool overnight, & use the water to water & hydrate your cuttings.
    & our mouths contain an enzyme that helps stimulate rooting.
    so I...lick my cuttings.

My friends laughed at me, but I got roses!

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia