Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oberci

propagating roses in a greenhouse

oberci
9 years ago

So the Mr graciously purchased a beautiful glass greenhouse for me for mother's day, but being a new gardener, I'm not entirely sure how to use it! It is the 6' x 4' Palram Harmony greenhouse from costco if anyone is curious to look it up and maybe give some feedback.

I started my first 3 rose cuttings 3-4 weeks ago. They are in individual plastic pots, in a fast draining cactus potting mix (I can go find the bag and list the exact one if anyone is curious), were wet thoroughly, and then I covered the cutting and the container with a gallon sized ziplock bag. I put them on the east side of the house underneath my potting bench and basically left them alone although I did check often to make sure the soil was still damp.

They are all green and look quite happy. One however lost a few of its leaves because they were touching the plastic bag covering it, so the leaves got moldy and fell off. None have put out new growth yet.

Back to the GREENHOUSE: Is it a good idea to set up the glass greenhouse on the east side of the house so it only gets morning sun? If I transfer the rose cuttings to the greenhouse can I remove the plastic bags covering them? Is it possible to use glass bell jars to cover cuttings instead of bags (I don't have many but I do have a few large ones).

Thanks to anyone who can help out this novice!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus