Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Quick rooted roses

Posted by Grantgarden2 5b (grantgarden2@gmail.com) on
Sat, May 11, 13 at 19:53

Hello I have started cuttings of Nancy Hall and Baby Elizabeth, and the had rooted in less than one week. Is this normal or just pure luck? I am going to keep the roses due to patents, and be planted in my garden. Also will they survive in my zone without protection? And the container is my rooting rose chamber.
Grant garden

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Quick rooted roses

That sounds dang fast to this country girl! What's your setup--are you doing an aquarium pump with heaters in that box? Congratulations!

o

Yes- please post how you rooted the cuttings. I can root lots of plants, but NOT a rose!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sun, May 26, 13 at 21:28

Nancy Hall is no longer under patent so you don't need to worry about propagating it. It's rated to zone 6 but that's the default rating so it's hard to say. In it's favor is the fact that it's now an own root mini so even if it died back to the ground it should come back from the roots. But I'd put some mulch over it for the winter as an added protection.

I couldn't find a Baby Elizabeth so I don't know about that one. Are you sure that's the correct name? Is it also a miniature?

o

Yes, that is unusually fast for most cuttings in most instances. It CAN occur when every variable just happens to line up just right. Congratulations! Kim

o

Congratulations!

o

An update on how the roses are doing! It was a lot of fun doing this. Grantgarden2

o

wow nice job!! Mine rooted after about a week and a half. Thats when I saw the itty bitty roots starting to sprout out. I just used honey on the root end before placing into MG potting soil. Not the kind with the moisture crystals. Kept the soil moist and the pots in my yard in a shady area under my patio. No bags, no canopy, no special lights or anything fancy. My pots are actually plastic disposable food containers that I drilled holes in the bottoms for drainage.

o

I sure would like to see a break down picture of you rose rooting chamber, might be a great help to a lot of us fellow gardeners.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here