Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happygirl_gardener

Rose Misting

happygirl-gardener
15 years ago

After I have misted Roses for a few weeks, I checked them to find only small or no roots. Can I put more rooting hormone on them to help them root? I don't want to ruin them. Thanks in advance!!!! Happygirl-gardener Joan

Comments (5)

• debbysunshine
    15 years ago

I'm not a genius at propigation but have had some gorgeous successes. I'm here in San Diego and the worst enemy of cuttings is overwatering. After this bit of weather we just had a couple turned brown so today I dumped a couple and the dirt was vwery we so I cut back the base and put in just a bit of Rootone and put them into the garden without roots but they stay much drier there and I'm having a good amount of success in the garden dirt. Could not believe the amount of worms that were in the pots growing the cuttings. So you can mist but I think this might lead to the overly wet thing.

• rosyone
    15 years ago

Joan, if the cuttings look viable above the soil line then you probably just need to give them more time. And less handling. The fact that you've seen a few roots indicates that you aren't too far off the track with your methods, but you need to resist the temptation to look. "A few weeks" is way too early to be checking for roots by direct inspection of the ends of the cuttings. You'll short circuit the efforts of cuttings that are trying to root and end up losing a lot of them needlessly.

I wait until root tips appear at the drainage holes of their 3.5" containers before I wean cuttings from the mist. Then once they've acclimated to normal air and are beginning to put out new growth, I move them to gallon pots with as little disruption of the fragile young root ball as possible. Some very rapidly roses, most notably some of the teas and chinas, may be weaned from the mist after two weeks and potted up before they're a month old, but most roses require more time before they can be safely handled.

• gbebeh
    15 years ago

rosyone how long would you wait to pot up a hybrid tea cutting? Right now I have a couple of cuttings that are in perilite/peatmoss that get misted.
    When should i move them to a gallon pot?

thanks, gbebeh

• happygirl-gardener
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the input. I've been misting now for 3 years, with alot (about 90 percent) success. I had never started misting so early. I guess with the lower temps, I just need to be patient. Thanks again....Happygirl-Joan

• gnomey
    15 years ago

I'm very impatient. How long do you have to wait to check for roots?