Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tny78

Only 5 of 50 cuttings survived! (pics)

TNY78
11 years ago

This year was my first large scale attempt to root cuttings. I had about 10 different varities that I started back in February, but as of right now, I only have 5 still living! Not sure what I did wrong...maybe I should have waited to try rooting on new wood? My method was scarring the bottom, dipping in rooting hormine (powder), and then sticking into a seeding potting mix/perlite mixture...here's pics of what I have left...and the three Lavendar Pearl cuttings aren't looking great :(

From Left to Right: Anneke Doorenbos, 3 Lavendar Pearls, & CL Cecil Brunner

Anneke Doorenbos

CL Cecil Brunner

Comments (9)

• Kippy
    11 years ago

Nice!

I started 3 pots with cutting last week, I am hoping to get something!

Congrats

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

I had about the same amount of success. I used cuttings that had already leafed out, so I'm blaiming my lack of strikes on that.

We have another shot at it next year. I'm going to use the cups and rooting hormone for the more traditional method with spent blooms. Shouldn't be much longer before I can do that.

Some roses are just harder to root than others. I found accidentally rooting Dr. Huey gave me great feeling of success. Not quite what I expected, but, hey! he rooted!

Keep trying!

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grandmother's Rose, I just went back and read your thread about your results, and it does sound like w had similar results. I think I'm going to keep trying too. I posted awhile back regarding what roots easily and it seems, as a general rule, its the hybrid musks and minis...so I think I'll have them a whirl. I have a ballerina that could use some major pruning already! :)

And you're right, animails are easier to grow than roses!

Tammy

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

Go for it! I decided to try chip budding with the Dr. Huey. I'll wait until the plants are a little bigger and I have more of an urge to do a little chipping. On the good days I think it's a good thing I don't have 50 roses growing on my front steps. I mean, what would I do with them, anyway?

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

Three of my cuttings that rooted are hybrid musk, so I agree that they must be easy to propagate, along with Dr. Huey.

• roseseek
    11 years ago

"Hybrid Musks" are literally hybrids of multiflora. Dr. Huey is a Wichurana hybrid. Both species are invasive spreaders, rooting very easily which is one factor making them so highly prized for use as root stocks. Kim

• hartwood
    11 years ago

February cuttings in my climate, which is similar to yours, are likely to fail. I find that cuttings that are dormant like this tend to break bud and leaf out without roots underneath them to support the growth. Try again with semi hardwood (a cutting of this year's growth with a dead flower on the end of it.) I'm putting cuttings in now. So far I have Green Rose, Shailer's Provence, and two rustled found roses in the north-facing window of my cool basement ... more coming in a few weeks.

• grandmothers_rose z6b
    11 years ago

Me and my "invasive spreaders." Four o'clocks, those blue and white native violets, common milkweed . . . at least the hybrid musk and Dr. Huey don't appear to be as bad as those are. Although, if I planted all the ones that rooted, they COULD qualify. :)

Hartwood - good to hear you have more roses coming along. I'll be visiting you on May 27, Lord willin' and the creek don't rise.

• TNY78
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the tips Connie, I think I'll make another attempt at it in the next couple of weeks and maybe I'll have better results! I really like all of my hybrid musks, so there's nothing to lose! Hopefully I'll be able to place another order with you at the end of summer :)

Tammy

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery