Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rooting rose clipping

Posted by Tink5980 7a (marianna.kent@yahoo.com) on
Tue, May 15, 12 at 20:41

I read somewhere that you could you could use a potatoe to root clippings....anyone know about that?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rooting rose clipping

A friend said that her grandmother rooted roses in potatoes. I haven't tried it. Try it!

o

LOL JUST READ THIS POSTING TO MY HUBBY (THE ROSE GROWER) NOW HE IS SAYING THAT HE HAS TO TRY THIS LOL WILL LET YOU KNOW IF IT WORKS

o

This has been around for years and years, and not something I'd try except for in the fall/winter if no other methods worked (which they do);

1 Cut a piece of rose bush stem 6 to 8 inches long with a sharp, clean knife or pruning shears. This should be done in winter when the blooms have wilted and hips are forming.

2 Cut off the spent blooms, hips and lower leaves. Do not cut the nodes, or eyes, above the leaves.

3 Fill the nursery pot 1/3 full with potting soil and place on a plate or drainage pan.

4 Punch a hole 3 inches deep into a healthy potato using a screwdriver.

5 Insert the bottom end of the cutting into the potato hole.

6 Place inside the nursery pot and cover with soil so that about 3 inches of the cutting sticks out.

7 Place in indirect sunlight and keep surrounding soil moist but well drained for two months. Transplant into a permanent place outdoors in the spring.

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Thu, May 24, 12 at 10:47

Never heard of this one before! Sounds like an interesting winter project.

o

Can you put in more than just one cutting per potato? Like 3 or 4?
Clare

o

any of ya'll ever try this?

o

any of ya'll ever try this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here