Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cuttings from Weak Rose Bushes

Posted by mark_roeder 4B IA (My Page) on
Fri, May 19, 06 at 21:07

I have a few weak bushes that just do not perform as I have seen elsewhere despite excellent care. Are cuttings from weak rose bushes, capable of outperforming the mother bush that has fallen on rough times for no apparent reason?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cuttings from Weak Rose Bushes

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Sat, May 20, 06 at 18:42

Yes, I think so...I've had several I took cuttings of because the mother plant had crown gall, or was just a weakling, and the new plants are much much better. Threw the old plants out.

Give the weak plant a good hit of fertilizer a few weeks before you take cuttings, to get the cuttings as full of energy as you can.

o

My Lagerfeld was puny. I did take a cutting and rooted it. It is MUCH better.
Dawn

o

If the wimpiness comes from a weakening disease, like RMV, crown gall, certain stem cankers, etc., it will also occur in the cutting grown rose. If the rose is merely puny due to poor soil, etc., a new rose grown from it will be fine in a better situation.

o

The wimpiness may be due to multiple transplants and a poor graft on the original rose bush. Some writers here have suggested my rose grows 4 - 5 feet tall, and while I like the one I want to propagate, it grows to 18 inches, and has been shrinking over the years.

Thanks for your responses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here