Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When Is A Good Time To Take Cuttings To Root?

Posted by linlily z5/6PA (My Page) on
Wed, May 6, 09 at 21:28

I need to send some rose cuttings to someone to fulfill a trade. When would be the best time to take these cuttings to ensure that the person rooting them would have the best chance at success? The roses I'm sending cuttings from are Red Knockout, and some Rugosa Roses. I think this person is a newbie on rooting rose cuttings. Any advice you could give me and her would be appreciated. Thanks,
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When Is A Good Time To Take Cuttings To Root?

Cuttings are best taken immediately after the blooms fade. Use only this current year's growth and cut it off as close to the parent cane as possible.

FYI the 'Knockout' roses are all patented and it is illegal to trade cuttings or to propagate them. Sorry :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: How to propagate roses

o

I'll contact the person who was asking for the trade and tell her that she is asking for something illegal.

I don't know if the Rugosas are patented. I'll have to look them up and see if I can find out. Darned if I know.

Your information was very helpful. Thank you for responding.

o

Rugosa is a species rose, not patented. Rugosa hybrids are really old, patent expired. Patent lasts for 20 years. Lots of good roses past their patent to propagate, let the hybridizer get his share, otherwise u are eating ur own babies, no one wants to do that now. best cuttings are semi ripe. u can wait till the bloom has faded, that way u get to enjoy the rose, and use it for a cutting. however, u don't need to wait that long, if u are more interested in propagation, u can use the cane for cuttings as long as it already has a flower bud on it. i've stuck lots of cuttings, for example cut down a whole bush in the fall, use up the whole bush, stick cutting from canes that have flowered, are flowering, and are going to flower. as long as they have a flower bud on them, they are ripe enough to stick.

o

Thank you all so much for your advice. My roses all have buds now, and one of the Rugosas is actively blooming. Looks like I'll be able to take cuttings very soon.

Linda

o

When can I move my peony its crowded?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here