Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ok.. how do I breed color into a seedling ? :)

Posted by mmmgonzo z7 OR (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 22:10

Question for those of you who do your own deliberate parent/pollen crosses:

I have a white rose that gave me many seedlings. All of the blooms so far appear they are going to be white (white parent).

These were all op seedlings.

If I do a cross, is the hopes I cross a colored rose with another colored rose that some of the seedlings would have color to them? Not that white isn't nice, but I am curious.

Are some colors "dominant"? easier to obtain thru deliberate crosses?

Marleah

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ok.. how do I breed color into a seedling ? :)

from what i remember from high school genetics. There are dominate and recessive traits in each cell.
so I would get a whole batch of seeds from hybridization and hope they come up with the right thing. because you don't know if you have a DS, a DD, or a RR. D for dominate and R for resissive because DS and DD make the same thing...
so hybridize and grow all the seedlings, and you'll know if you got the right thing by what they look like.
But if you looking for a color, mix two roses that contain at least a little of that color. That might help...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here