Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanted English roses and floribunda roses

Posted by perennialfan273 zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, May 4, 09 at 23:00

Hello

I really want to add some English roses and/or floribunda roses to my garden this year. I don't really care for hybrid teas because the flowers are often very small and the disease resistance is TERRIBLE.

Anyways, now that I've ranted about the flaws of hybrid teas, I don't really have a preference as to which cultivar I'm looking for, but I'd like it to be semi or fully double, disease resistant, and fragrant (and of course hardy in my zone). Any floribunda or English rose that meets these criteria is good for me.

I don't have any roses of my own yet (not to mention plants in general) but I do have some stuff. Please take a look at my trade list and tell me if anything interests you. Also, I have some white wisteria seedling available for trade which aren't on my list which I'd also be willing to trade. They're samll (about two inches tall) so they're a good size for shipping (and they'll have roots which is always nice :-). If not, I'd also be willing to send postage for some cuttings if you prefer that instead. Finally, any advice on growing these beautiful plants would be greatly appreciated, and I'm actually going to ask a question now. If it's a climbing rose, does it need a trellis for support??

Thank You

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanted English roses and floribunda roses

• Posted by hoovb z9 Southern CA (My Page) on
    Tue, May 5, 09 at 22:21

A climbing rose can be grown without support, but one thing you have to deal with is strong winds. This is because strong winds whip the canes around and they lash each other and scratch the heck out of each other and you end up having to cut them back because of all the damage.

There are all kinds of support that can be used rather than a trellis. A low fence, a tripod, an arch, are probably easier to work with than a trellis. Trellis are often too small and narrow to display a rose at its best. Check out the "ashdown rose" videos about climbing roses at youtube. Very helpful and instructive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here