Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who's tried Hydroponic rooting?

Posted by bluegirl z8TX (My Page) on
Thu, May 23, 13 at 23:08

Gonna start a run soon. So did you use any nutrients in the water?
Did you root indoors or out?
What ambient temp worked well?
What time of year worked well for you?
What hormone did you use & did you leave it on the cuttings a few minutes before setting them in the cloner?
Did it work well for you & did rooted cuttings thrive after potting up?

Not that I'm curious :-)

I recall a lot of posts re. this method some years back. Folks were using home-made cloners with air pumps bubbling in the water to provide mist on the cutting's bottom stem. There were a lot of favorable posts on how well this method worked on roses.

For the first run, I went ahead & bought a kit. The supplier said that people generally get roots on roses in ~17 days.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who's tried Hydroponic rooting?

I hope you get a reply to your question would like to know myself. What kit did you get?

o
RE: Who's tried Hydroponic rooting?

There's a good descriptive web-site with photos for a homemade one here:
http://www.jasons-indoor-guide-to-organic-and-hydroponics-gardening.com/homemade-aeroponics.html

But I went with the kit, for starters, pictured here:
http://www.amazon.com/Clone-King-Aeroponic-Cloning-Machine/dp/B008NRQJC0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1369970249&sr=8-2&keywords=aeroponic+cloner

mainly because I figured by the time I assembled the kit I would spend nearly that amount on the parts & probably screw it up anyway, until I understood the set-up better.

The kit is well-made & looks ridiculously simple to use. Plan to start it up in the next few days.

I suspect the majority of buyers for the kit are cloning, ehem, *herb* ehem cuttings in a closet under lights, to judge from the discussions & reviews of the kit. The manufacture was very helpful & gave good advice to my questions about rooting softwood ROSE cuttings in the thing.

I wish I could find the old threads, but I recall them as very enthusiastic about both the manufactured kits & homemade ones.

Will get back in a few weeks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here