Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karan_in_oregon

Help with cuttings

Renter
16 years ago

The city where I live is tearing out 3 or 4 old dilapidated houses and will bulldoze everything in August. They are letting 4 of us that called get cuttings of the roses that are there. There must be 6 - 8 different roses, some are hybrid teas, I think, some are shrubby with large bouquets of flowers on the end of the stems, but I went this morning and got what I could. They are in a plastic container soaking in my bathtub right now. My question is can you make more than one cutting from a cutting that is 12 - 18 inches long or do I need to keep each branch in tact and hope to get roots from it? I have a bag of Whitney Farms potting soil I am going to use. Do I need to put perlite with it? I don't have rooting hormone, but may be able to get some tomorrow. I don't know how old the roses are but the houses have been there for years. I am going to try to get a start off of a huge fig tree and dig some Siberian Iris. There are old lilacs that have suckers growing in a large area. I can dig those, but the roses are huge so they are going to be used in another area I am told. Any help or suggestions is appreciated. Karan

Comments (2)