Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner

Posted by Cassieheartsroses 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 0:24

I have just gotten into wanting to do rose clippings and putting colors together. I have a Kordana rose, a white Peace rose and pink double knock out and I am about to buy about four other breeds. I am extremely interested in cutting these for more plants ect. Any tips or someone who would invest some time to teach a novice? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 30, 12 at 10:34

Be careful to check to see if these roses are patented. It is illegal to root cuttings of patented roses even for personal use. You can check for patents on the US patent site or sometimes at Help Me Find dot com slash roses.

o

seil is right. I'm new to roses also, so I didn't have a clue about the patents. I was told that patents are usually only 20 years, so I always add on a few years if I can't find the actual patent information. But the website seil suggested has become my new best friend. If you do have a rose that no longer holds a patent, you can experiment with those.

This is what I do:

Take a fresh cutting, about 6+ inches with a leaf node about an inch or so from the bottom of the cutting. I then *gently* scrape the cutting from just below the leaf node all the way down, and all the way around. Then stick the cutting in some rooting hormone, shake off the excess, and plant in some damp (not super wet) sphagnum moss in a small jar or votive. I use sphagnum because I recall someone telling me it has natural rooting hormones when I was dabbling in bonsai a few years back. The key is to not have it soaking wet, I use physan 20/water mixture to "water" the moss to add a little extra help with keeping the cuttings from growing mold or rotting. Then I place them on a heat mat in my dining room, with indirect light. I've been fairly successful I think for being so new to roses, but this is how I root other types of plants so not much has changed.

Good luck! It's a bit addicting to start rooting. There are other methods that might interest you like layering.

o

P.S. I forgot to add removing all but the top 2 leaf sets! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here