Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown old rose?

Posted by beth7happy 9 CtrlFl (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 23, 12 at 10:40

In May we were visiting our son and DIL to greet our newest grandson in the Savannah area. (Thank you, he IS fantastic!) Over their back fence (6 ft stockade) were casecades of beautiful clusters of small pink roses - stems without thorns, it seems! The neighbor said, "Oh just take some stems and stick them into the ground. This was from something my mother got that survived Katrina in New Orleans!" Wow...that easy?? I'm a skeptic! So, brought home 9 little pieces and plunked them into drain-less clear cups in a mix of potting soil, and vermiculite...watered gently with aspirin water...placed in a make-shift plastic greenhouse like thing. This morning it seems that 5 of the 9 have a fair chance...one more a very weak 'maybe'. I moved them from the drainless cups to regular small clay pots with a drain hole. It's pretty humid here in Florida right now so I'm tossing the greenhouse thing. Any other suggestions??? (I DID actually see some roots during the change!) An I on the right track??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown old rose?

Does this look like your rose? It sounds from what you've written, you're doing what you should be doing. Congratulations! Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Peggy Martin

o

Thank you, Kim! I sure look similar, don't you think? Hoping that the cuttings will take...this is sure a show-stopper!!

o

The rose that survived Hurricane Katrina is "Peggy Martin". I have two of them, and it is exactly as you describe. Cascades of pink flowers and almost no thorns. Your cuttings will root, because "Peggy Martin" is really easy to propagate. (It's one of my favorites!)

o

thank you both for your responses. EXCITED about the prospects of having this beautiful plant. We're going to my son's again this weekend...I'm tempted to take even a few more cuttings. (Not that I want to be a piggie, but I REALLY want to have this rose!)

o

I would get more just in case. It is lovely. Then maybe you could trade with Ernie who is looking for cuttings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here