Return to the Rose Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the hard part over ?

Posted by catholicokie ZONE 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 11:14

My friends,

On May 5 I took about 24 cuttings of a yellow shrub like rose from the front of an empty office buliding here in Wichita....well...after following the advice posted here about 99% of my cuttings have 6-8 in roots and new growth all over themsleves...my bed prep is done and I want to put them out but I have had my "little darlings" in a window sill under plastic...my question is ...what is the best hardening off method..the last thing I want is to roast them ..also ....what spraying program (fungicide) is safe at this early stage...
thanks
God Bless

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the hard part over ?

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 8, 08 at 21:58

Will you elaborate on what method you followed, since there seem to be many of them?

o

I used 4-5 in tips, some with buds, some not...they are all in plastic 4 pack trays that I purchased some snapdragons in...I then put all the trays in a large clear plastic bag and spray misted them 4-6 times a day ...I took them out of the bag yesterday and have them growing in a southern/western exposed corner window ...
I am thinking of exposing them to a couple hours of direct sun daily for a week then half days then plant them ...I have given them a few doses of insceticidal soap..but I think a fungicide is probably in order...thank you all kindly for advice..

o

Perhaps adding a hole on the plastic every day until the plastic is full of holes. You will know that the plants are hardened at the end.

o

the hard part is over. the cuttings generally will root in 4 weeks with green and semi ripe cuttings, which is what you have done. they should be quite resilient now. I doubt you need any fungicide at this time of year. Roses thrive on full hot sun, but you're probably wise to build up gradually, or you risk "bleaching" them, especially at your latitude. Keep them out of the mid day sun for about a week, and observe the character of the leaves - like how deep green are they, are they producing lots of chlorophyll, how are they acclimatising to the sun, and they should be able to tell you when they are ready for more intense light. I think about a week should do it, then put a few out into full hot sun, and if they do fine, then put all the rest of 'em out. Sativa.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Rose Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here